Author Topic: Fenderbird/BaCHbird  (Read 8514 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Fenderbird/BaCHbird
« on: November 21, 2008, 02:17:12 PM »
 It's been hard to keep this quiet over the past month or so...

I've been fortunate enough to be slightly involved in this "new" model bass from Mike Lull. It is of course a Fenderbird done his way. Accuracy and an incredilble attention to the orginal early 60's Gibson were the most important things, an original 1964 2 pick up 'Bird was graciously lent for the project. It was completely disassembled and copied for shape and components, this one will different from the original by having a four bolt mahogany neck/with maple as an option, and a shaped heel. The bodies will also be solid maho and have a Belly cut on the back of the upper 'bout and a very slight Arm carve too.
As you can see it'll have a two point bridge made by Hipshot as are the tuners, it balances perfectly!

Perhaps the most exciting part is Mike's attention the pick ups, first the new ones will have chrome plated stamped brass covers, made by the same supplier Gibson used for the original 1960's production!
The internal parts of the pickup will be just like the originals too, Mike paid great attention to the metals and plastics used and there will be both a bridge and neck version produced that will have 7k and 8k output, again just like the '64 prototype. The metal pickup rings are also being made.
  ;D As an outgrowth of the project the pick ups and the rings will be available as separate parts very soon, likely before the end of the year. So we can all upgrade our BaCH NR's with a nice new pickup, and not have to try and outbid each other for the piddly few that come up on E bay occasionally.
For now, be patient I'll let you guys that are interested know more details ASAP, it shouldn't be too long.

I'd like to suggest that when they are available those of us that are interested could chip in and get one for Rob as a small token of appreciation for his great effeorts on the BaCH NR.
I toast your work Rob  :toast:

Anyway this is THE ONLY TIME you guys get to see what I look like when I'm not dressed up like a woman, here I am holding the first prototype two pick up version on 11/21/2008, there's also a shot from a week ago of the body/neck before the bridge had been added. These basses will premier at the Winter NAMM show mid January, there will be one more prototype made after this one, it'll be a single pick up version that will be Mike's.
The very first production line bass will be mine  ;D
It will be a single pick up version, I'm still waffling on the color, either Metallic Orange or Mango Pink.

As a matter of fact, I am a Dork!

Cheers Guys!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 03:43:04 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Fenderbird/BaCHbird
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 02:35:13 PM »
That's really cool!  I almost didn't recognize you, either.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 03:05:06 PM »
Great news! Any idea on the prices for those pickups?
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 03:09:28 PM »
That looks really nice! That's a Hipshot bridge/tailpiece???? Good news on the pickups too.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 04:43:14 PM »
Good work, Mark.  :toast:

I think your involvement was probably more important than you're letting on.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 05:46:12 PM »
most excellent Mark... good work.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 06:10:45 PM »
You mean you're a DUDE!! ;D ;D :o

Kind of like a five year old whose father has always had a beard and shaves it off only to startle the poor kiddo have to death ;D

This looks great!  Howinthehell could you have kept this under your hat for so long?  I would have probably blabbed the first day :sad:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 07:36:38 PM »

Sorry Buzz......... :-[

Anyway, yeah that bridge and tail piece is made by Hipshot for this bass, so it's new. I PROMISE to let you guys know about the pick ups when there is news, I doubt they'll be cheap, but what part of Thunderbird is? .............Mike says they're due around the second week of December.

Anyway this is more like it, and likely how I'll be dressed when I go pick mine up  ;D

Rock on!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 07:55:02 PM »
Ahhhhh, things are now back to normal!!  ;D ;)  No need to apologize, I'm just very sensitive :P

It's just , I mean, we've only ever seen you in a skirt - I guess your alter ego couldn't show up at work :o

Seriously, I think that Mike should work up a special model and incorporate the "Fraulien" into the ad campaign 8)

It's too bad I'm way broke as this is yet another bass that gets added to to the list of "have to wait"

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 10:14:02 PM »
Wow!  Can't wait to see the single pickup version.  Are you getting a mahogany or maple neck on yours? 

Is Lull (or Hipshot) possibly going to offer that bridge/TP as spares as well?  I don't know what the BaCH's hardware will be like, and it was cool they went out of their way to mimic the TB bridge, but I'd bet that Hipshot is a lot nicer piece.

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 10:33:24 PM »
Mark!

I don't know which image makes me more speechless, you in guy drag or the Lull 'bird. Awsome work! and CRAP!!!!! as if I don't have enough projects already!

Keep Me/Us posted!

Scott ( BassVI )
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 12:58:39 AM »
Wow. I am in awe. I want one bad!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 04:18:12 AM »

I'd like to suggest that when they are available those of us that are interested could chip in and get one for Rob as a small token of appreciation for his great effeorts on the BaCH NR.
I toast your work Rob  :toast:

Cool project Mark! That looks really promising.

As for the BaCH project, remember it's really a group effort. If it weren't for you guys joining in it wouldn't have happened.
Thanx again for making it possible.

Cheers to all of you :toast:
Rob

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 05:35:25 AM »
Great bass Mark. The peopke here do amazing things that Gibson never does.
It's been hard to keep this quiet over the past month or so...

Anyway this is THE ONLY TIME you guys get to see what I look like when I'm not dressed up like a woman, here I am holding the first prototype two pick up version on 11/21/2008, there's also a shot from a week ago of the body/neck before the bridge had been added. These basses will premier at the Winter NAMM show mid January, there will be one more prototype made after this one, it'll be a single pick up version that will be Mike's.
The very first production line bass will be mine  ;D
It will be a single pick up version, I'm still waffling on the color, either Metallic Orange or Mango Pink.

As a matter of fact, I am a Dork!

Cheers Guys!

I can't believe it, are you related to the Dude?

Are the Dude's alter ego?

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 05:36:57 AM »
what color were you thinking for the new bass?