Author Topic: Paging the Thunderbird Garage  (Read 1550 times)

n!k

• View Profile
Paging the Thunderbird Garage
« on: November 15, 2008, 05:25:49 AM »
Scott,

I'm going in to have an estimate done on routing out the lower-bout of my Thunderbird like your Butcherbird cutaway. Do you happen to have a sketch or anything you used for that route, or anything I could say to produce what you have? I especially am referring to the neck profile behind the area removed by the route.

I'm also going to add a Warwick two piece bridge in black, and Gotoh "heart shaped" tuners. It should be a more unique set of modifications to make my 'bird a bit more my own. This is my project page, I'll update when updates come!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:48:59 AM by n!k »
Half-speed Hawkwind

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Paging the Thunderbird Garage
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 07:06:32 AM »
 I can trace it out for you and send you some pics. The Butcherbird lives !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 07:22:20 AM »
Hope he's not as bad as someone else I know!
 ;)

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 01:57:40 PM »
This is a go! I'm scheduled to have the work done in February by a very excellent shop right here in Minnesota, Brown's Guitar Factory (makers of their own unique bass design as well). The wait is mostly due to their schedule with finishing, as they're backed up and Nitrocellulose takes time to set. They're an authorized Gibson repair shop and I have seen their finishing work with nitro and it's excellent. The modification was well received as a utilitarian mod that preserves the natural curves of the instrument, and the warwick bridge as a very customizable bridge. The exact quote from the head honcho was "when this is done it'll be a better instrument than Gibson could have released!" He mainly meant that as the old-fashioned-ness of the guitar industry as a whole (which you might tell from Brown's own aggressive designs).

Color me excited. Thanks for your questionable influences, you senior bass guys. Now can anyone help me find a good price on a black warwick two-piece bridge?
Half-speed Hawkwind

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 06:13:58 PM »
There's source for the Warwick bridge from a outfit in London and it did have a very good price as well - even with overseas shipping.  I just can't rememember who it was that bought from them and posted the info?  Old age I guess ???

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 02:26:04 PM »
That was me. I've bought a couple from them. they are in England.  Here's the link.

http://www.basscentre.com/product.asp?pID=305&cID=43
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 01:28:50 PM »
Great, thanks! I'll keep on trying to find one used for less in the next couple months, but if I have to buy one new that's not a bad price even considering the dollar conversion.
Half-speed Hawkwind

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 07:51:37 AM »
Good luck!  I can't remember ever seeing one on eBay, but you never know!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 12:55:45 PM »
As we speak a black five string one is on the bay right now! Admittedly I have seen only a few bridges overall, but it does happen.
Half-speed Hawkwind