Author Topic: I'll dedicate this one to President Obama  (Read 1299 times)

Blazer

I'll dedicate this one to President Obama
« on: November 05, 2008, 09:56:35 AM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: I'll dedicate this one to President Obama
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 10:10:11 AM »
Not Bill, but George Clinton in there!

What kind of music does your new President Elect actually like? I can't really imagine him listening much to hardcore rap. Strikes me more as someone with a Keith Jarrett and Wynton Marsalis collection. Plus some Marvin Gaye to relax.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

nofi

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:23:20 AM »
i know for a fact that he loves sinatra.

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 10:49:30 AM »
I really wish I could find an image I saw last night but I can't at the moment. If I find it still on my computer I will post it.

Edit: Found it, just something meant as a joke. It was posted by someone on a forum for a game I go to often.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:00:27 PM by Big D Bassist »
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 03:53:54 PM »
I think he also likes Vampire Weekend

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 04:05:17 PM »
What a riot.  Are they a frat band?   :P
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 03:31:01 AM »
Great song! Never heard of them, but will probably now buy a CD! Ska goes Beatles goes Ska. I can see that appealing to his African roots, the guitar playing reminds me a lot of how African guitarists play.

Uwe

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 05:31:08 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlgNFwoApec&feature=related

Part Police, part Paul Simon (African version) part calypso, part chamber orchestra. Sounds fresh today, although very familiar. I like them for the lively drums and good bass playing. Amazing what energetic, but simple bass & drum playing can do for a band. Anything will sound good over a great foundation.

Vampire Weekend's moniker is derived from lead singer Ezra Koenig's amateur film of the same name. [4] The band gained attention via a variety of blogs, such as Stereogum.[5] The band is influenced by both African popular music and Western classical music, describing their genre of music as "Upper West Side Soweto", performing such songs as "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa", and "Oxford Comma", which references Congolese soukous music.[3] An alternative description of their sound—"trust fund frat rock"—was given by fellow musician Nicholas Thorburn.[6][7]
The members of the band met while attending Columbia University; they then self-produced their first album after graduation while concurrently working full-time jobs. Lead vocalist Ezra Koenig and drummer Chris Tomson first collaborated as members of the comedy-rap band "L'Homme Run".[8]
In 2007, Vampire Weekend's song, "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa", was ranked 67th on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Best Songs of the year. In November 2007, they toured the United Kingdom with The Shins.[9][10] They were declared "The Year's Best New Band" by Spin magazine in the March 2008 issue, and were the first band to be shot for the cover of the magazine before releasing their debut album.[11]
In 2008, Vampire Weekend were dubbed the "whitest band" by Christian Lander, the creator of the site Stuff White People Like, in an interview with Salon.com.[12]
On October 12, 2008, Vampire Weekend played a fundraiser concert in New York City for Music for Democracy, where they shared the stage with David Crosby and Graham Nash.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 05:37:34 AM by Barklessdog »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 07:02:28 AM »
I love that song too. Energetic nerdiness always appeals to me.