Author Topic: Good Guys Guitars is closing  (Read 7338 times)

sflajimmy

• View Profile
Re: Good Guys Guitars is closing
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 09:09:17 PM »
I'm not commenting on his integrity, just his pricing. There are two used/vintage dealers in my area whose integrity I (and many others) trust, both of them price their guitars and basses well below Good Guys.
It's cool Dave I wasn't implying that. I was just commenting on the fact that price is relevant. I've found most dealers pricing what I would consider high, but haven't the interest, experience or the money to really shop them and compare prices. So I'll just STFU  ;D

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 04:45:02 AM »
Same here. I worked with Kevin/Swami and the rest of the Good Guys at the Arlington & Dallas shows one year and it was a great experience and a lot of fun.

I as well have nothing but kind words for Kevin. He was always straight up with me. If someone pays top dollar, who's to say he should not get it?

True of all dealers of anything vintage. There is scum and there are true enthusiasts that cater to a different crowd than us regular folk.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »
Dumb question: Why are they closing down?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 11:26:11 AM »
I would imagine that right now most vintage guitar dealers are indeed caught, if they bought more than 60 days ago and are trying to resell.  OTOH, if they bought at wholesale, they should be OK.  The people who had the money to pay silly prices for collector guitars probably still have it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 01:11:44 PM »

When a business shuts down voluntarily like this, they're not making enough money or possibly they're actually operating at a loss (which wouldn't be a surprise given the recession). If they were making enough money, they could sell the business outright.

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 06:36:01 PM »

I don't know exactly, but I think it has something to do with a dissolving of the partnership between the owners. I think GGG was started as 3 friends and they agreed to not do it without the 3 guys involved, so when one decided he didn't want to do it anymore they decided to close up shop. Something like that. I imagine you'll see the other guys (or at least Kevin) move on to some new vintage guitar shop or start their own thing.

I've never had occasion to deal with GGG (they have no lefty stock) but Kevin's always been rad to me about giving advice and opinions on old basses. The little I've talked with him I thought he was a sweet dude.

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 06:37:42 PM »
I'm not commenting on his integrity, just his pricing. There are two used/vintage dealers in my area whose integrity I (and many others) trust, both of them price their guitars and basses well below Good Guys.

If you've noticed lefty basses in either shop that's handy to you Dave, please let me know.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 09:02:21 PM »
If you've noticed lefty basses in either shop that's handy to you Dave, please let me know.

Will do.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 07:27:03 AM »
The little I've talked with him I thought he was a sweet dude.

He knows a LOT about what he talks about. When you see him in action at the shows like I did it becomes clear. Amazing knowledge of instruments. And he is a pretty good guy, no pun intended. The basses I've gotten from him have been great players.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 11:41:46 AM »
He has helped me a bit in the past and impressed me as a stand-up guy. I have often drooled over pics of pre-CBS P's on his website, and thought that when the day comes that I'll get one of these, I'd rather pay a little more and buy from him rather than off eBay.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023