Author Topic: Good Guys Guitars is closing  (Read 7339 times)

Andrew

• View Profile
Good Guys Guitars is closing
« on: October 29, 2008, 07:39:22 AM »
GGG is shutting down and they have a bunch of basses left, including a few Gibsons. There might be deals to be had. I'm not connected to the store, just thought I'd mention the chance at possible deals to you guys.

http://goodguysguitars.com

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Good Guys Guitars is closing
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
The problem for me (besides lack of spare funds) is that most their basses are priced at least 50% higher than you see in this neck of the woods. They'd have to do some really steep discounting before I'd consider anything on their site a bargain.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 11:04:53 AM »
Kevin wasn't at the Arlington show this year which was very unusual, thought something was up. They have a lot of high $$ instruments and people got no $$ to spare.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:28:56 PM »
I would think that with the market down, the asking prices would need to be adjusted.  Fewer people are willing to sell the house for a nice vintage bass.  If the market values drop them down under the costs, then there's trouble.  Sounds to me, from looking this over, and their inventory, that that might be what's going on.  Traveling to a guitar show, setting it all up, buying the space, etc. isn't a cheap week-end.  There has to be an expected return somewhere.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 05:50:40 PM »
Good Guys had an EB-650 on eBay in May with a $5000 BIN. I've never seen one sell on eBay for over $2,500. The auction petered out at $1624. A poster at Jules' place started a thread to say he had offered (post-auction) in the neighborhood of $1650. The response: "Dude, Its a 5000.00 bass on a bad day. We're blowing it out at 4395.00"

That says a lot. They believed their own hype about the values. From the looks of their remaining inventory and prices, not enough buyers believed the hype.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 06:30:25 PM »
Kevin got mad at me over in the BadAss forum when I reminded him that basses are only worth what some knucklehead (like me) is willing to pay for one, not what he wished to get for one.  Life's like that!    ;)
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

rockinrayduke

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 03:31:21 AM »
I've always felt dealers have been artificially driving up the prices to insane levels just to see if someone with more money than sense will pay the price.

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 06:06:43 AM »
I just hope that someday my Jay Turser will be worth $5K
 ;D

"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 07:54:05 AM »
 I never bought their self appointed expert hype.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 07:59:04 AM »
I remain firmly grounded with the thought that a bass is only worth what I'm willing to pay for it.  If someone wants more than that, it's overpriced.  And I'm a cheap S.O.B...although highly lovable.

All their stock looked pretty seriously overpriced to me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 09:51:42 AM »
I'm in agreement with pretty much all that's been said.  Dealers, even good ones, have pushed prices up because they were selling things.  Now that the economic state has started to have an international impact, people aren't willing to pay the price.  In a perfect metaphor, these vintage dealers are probably now having to choose the reality of having bought high, and now having to sell low.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 09:54:29 AM »
E bay is still the ultimate reality check.

sflajimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 10:05:56 AM »
I've dealt with Kevin and he's always been straight up with me. I felt like I could trust him when it came to the authenticity of a vintage piece and that is worth something for sure. Sure dealers prices always seem high but you can get something that is priceless....peace of mind. Prices might come down and they should in this market, but as stated here a bass is worth what you're willing to pay for it. The consumers drove the prices up and now maybe we'll drive the prices down. ;)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 10:17:53 AM »
I'm not commenting on his integrity, just his pricing. There are two used/vintage dealers in my area whose integrity I (and many others) trust, both of them price their guitars and basses well below Good Guys.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 11:12:12 AM »
I'm not commenting on his integrity, just his pricing.

Same here. I worked with Kevin/Swami and the rest of the Good Guys at the Arlington & Dallas shows one year and it was a great experience and a lot of fun.