Author Topic: Pickguard for Eb0, 59-61  (Read 1125 times)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Pickguard for Eb0, 59-61
« on: October 20, 2008, 01:57:04 AM »
Anybody out there who knows where I could get the pickguard mentioned above? I need it in soft plastic, so that I can bend it a bit. The pickguard is for a rebuilt bass of the Korean brand Lotus, long scale, neck-through-body, '65 T-bird pickup, Schaller mechanics, Badass bridge, Rotosound strings, ruby-red body in, about, the same looks as a first generation Eb0. Great sound. Nice looks. But she needs a black pickguard to look the part. As the body is arched a bit, the pickguard needs to be possible to bend a bit. Any ideas?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Pickguard for Eb0, 59-61
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 02:59:02 AM »
 Most pick guards these days are vinyl and will bend somewhat, but I don't think enough to fit the contours of a arched top bass. Most violin basses solid or hollow have a pickguard that attatches along the top or G string side and uses a small metal arm to support the bass side. Think Hofner or EB2 or Gibsons EB1
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 04:15:15 AM »
FWIW... I know there are plastics available that will "give" with just a little heat (like being submerged in warm water), and then harden in that form when they cool. A general example would be the plastic sheets used to make molds for radiation treatment targeting and immobilization. Unfortunately, this particular material is perforated, but you get the idea. If you can rough-cut a piece and mount it to the bass, a hair dryer might soften it enough to mold to the contours of the top.

Perhaps a search and inquire with some plastics distributors will provide the info you need. You may even be able to snake a sample piece large enough for testing purposes.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 07:36:01 AM by lowend1 »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 08:56:59 AM »
Thanks for that information! Somewhere in the back of my mind, I seem to remember an offer on Ebay a couple of years ago. Someone who produced pickguards, had one newly produced by his och hers company. And it was made for an Eb0. Anyone remembers? Maybe such a piece, in tandem with Lowend1:s idea about heatening the pickguard, would solve my problem? Any other ideas?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 06:26:37 AM »
Jeannies Pickguards you mean? He's done work for me, it was fine (a Ripper and an RD tort guard).

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 08:05:22 AM »
I would not order anything with the idea of bending it without checking first to see if it can be heated and bent without distortion.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 08:22:46 AM »
Thank's for the ideas, guys. I've checked a couple of different manufacturers, and they did not have the pickguard. So now, with Dave's words in mind, I'm thinking that Maybe I should just look for the fattest (thickest) possible plastic, find a good picture of the Eb0, blow it up to the right size, cut the plastic and glue it on. What do you think?
"Fattest Possible Plastic." Sounds like a good name for something. Don't know what, but maybe for... fattest possible plastic???