Author Topic: What Are Ya Reading?  (Read 707 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
What Are Ya Reading?
« on: October 17, 2008, 03:59:13 AM »
I just finished another WONDERFUL book by Morgan Llywelyn. Her book The Lion of Ireland is my fav book next to the profound cream of Vedic literature--the books translated from Sanskrit into English by A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami, my dear grandfather guru. I've read The Lion of Ireland 4 times!!!! ..& it's sequel--A Pride of Lions-- twice!! I've also read several of Morgan Llywelyn's other books---The Red Branch, Finn MacCool...& now The Greener Shore. It's a sequel to her book Druids but I skipped that one....perhaps cuz it is so thick or perhaps I shied away due to my knowledge that druids performed human sacrifices.
Anyway...All these books are about Ireland in the distant past but Morgan leads you thru the mists of time & makes you feel like you're experiencing the events that form the history of the enchanting Emerald Isle.

I recommend starting with The Lion of Ireland as I did back in 1981. It's the story of one of the first Kennedys....spelled Cennedi by the Celts. It's Historical Fiction which means it's based on History but made 100 times more exciting by the author, using her vivid imagination & expert storytelling skills.

Then read The Greener Shores. It's the story of a druid who becomes the patriarch of his tribe when the chieftain is slain in battle somewhere in the middle of Europe by the Romans & they find a new start by escaping to Ireland.
Don't worry--there's only a reference to one human sacrifice in it.  The druids in the story had stopped human sacrifices.
The druids actually had much wisdom & so does the author.
Some reviewers call this her masterpiece...but whoever said that must not have fully appreciated The Lion of Ireland.
They're both bloody brilliant!!

I cried tonight as I finished the book, cuz it's so beautifully written & cuz IT WAS OVER!

I'll be reading Morgan Llywelyn's book GRANIA next.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: What Are Ya Reading?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 05:28:42 AM »
H Rider Haggard - King Solomons Mines
Digresion our specialty!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 01:06:16 PM »

"The game of the foxes" by Ladislas Farago.
German espionage in the U.S. and Britain during WWII, its very interesting for those of us that enjoy that topic its a fascinating (and before now completely unknown to me) subject.  :thumbsup:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 09:22:43 AM »
I agree, Morgan Llewellyn's Lion of Ireland is excellent!

I just discovered a new author named Scott Lynch, finished his first, The Lies of Locke Lamora and am more than halfway through Red Seas Under Red Skies.

Incidentally, for those who watched the third Presidential debate, Bob Schieffer has an autobiography out that's very interesting. He started as a newspaper reporter in TX and has had a most interesting career.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."