Author Topic: My new G3  (Read 5425 times)

barend

My new G3
« on: October 14, 2008, 06:18:31 AM »
I just recieved my new '76 G3. I had to wait for 6 weeks (due to some personal problems of the Ebay seller). It is always a relief when a bass arrives if you have ordered it from Ebay. You really start to worry after a few weeks. But it was worth waiting for. It looks beautiful. Amazing how the bass has been kept so well after more then 30 years. There a few dings and belt scratches on the back but for the rest it looks almost new.
Also the case has been kept really nice and I have the original bill from the first buyer.

Now I have two G3's (what a luxury). But one a them has to go, I don't want to keep two of the same basses. The other one an '78 maple one which is also really nice. Today I tested both of them and the sound is quite similar, the maple one is maybe a little more aggresive. The maple one is much heavier though. It really is a big difference. So I am not sure which I want to sell. What do you think?

I really like the sound of the G3 basses, together with the EB3 it is my favourite Gibson bass. I think the G3 sounds different then other Gibson basses, much more mid and clear sounding.

Here are some pics:

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
Re: My new G3
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 07:14:59 AM »
I prefer maple sonically, but I prefer black visually.

A difficult choice, I say keep both for 6 months then decide

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 08:10:04 AM »
Mate them!!!  :mrgreen:

You are aware that sonically you can make them quite different from another by modifying one of them to feature just the front and the rear pup (not the middle one) in the toggle switch middle position as opposed to all three? Or you can also sacrifice another toggle position for it, in the case of my second G 3 the front and middle pup configuration has been sacrificed for front and rear pup leaving the middle position of the toggle switch with all three pups active unscathed. The resulting sound is bassy but scooped and echoes a Jazz Bass. Actually quite a popular mod at the time.

And in any case: Two different body woods is two different basses in my book, jawohl!

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

barend

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:17:57 AM »
Wasn't aware of that mod. I like the sound just as it is. In fact I mostly play with the switch in position 1 (bridge and middle PU). That already is quite 'Fender jazz bass Bridge pickup like'.
I think the difference in sound between position 2 and 3 is not that big.

Is the mod a big difference compared to the normal position 2 or 3? Still curious how that mod will sound.
And how do you make that mod?

Still I want to sell one of them. I already have enough other basses. It gets too crowded here!

Is the black one alder wood? As I said it is much lighter then the maple one. I guess maple is much heavier in general (?)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:26:54 AM by barend »

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 10:34:14 AM »
Is the black one alder wood? As I said it is much lighter then the maple one. I guess maple is much heavier in general (?)

Yeah, alder. Maple is the heavier of the two.

Bert

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 12:35:28 PM »
I already have enough other basses. It gets too crowded here!

define "enough"
'68 4001|'73 4001 MG|'73 4001 AZG (PW refin)|'75 4000 MG|'79 4001 JG FL|'81 4001S AZG|'86 4003 MID/BT|'86 4003 Shadow|'86 4003S JG|'88 4003s Blackstar|'89 4003 Grey/BT FL|'96 4003S/8 FG|'98 4003S/5 JG| 05 650D|06 4004 CII BBR||B-115|RB 30||?

barend

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 03:27:24 PM »
well, I have 9 basses, 5 guitars and 2 sitars

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 04:19:07 PM »
Even though we've never met, I officially hate you for having two G-3's... :mrgreen:

(seriously, let me know when you're ready to sell one...)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 10:18:37 PM »
well, I have 9 basses, 5 guitars and 2 sitars
keep both G3's and get rid of a Sitar.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 11:28:13 PM »

That's right!  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 11:56:24 PM »
Nice!

Install a 6-way (Quiet Uwe & Mark!) and have almost all the combinations!

1. neck
2. neck/middle
3. middle
4. middle/bridge
5. bridge
6. neck/bridge

:toast:

Scott
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

barend

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 12:49:03 AM »

haha...no, I have two nice sitars which I won't sell

that 6 way switch is a joke right? would ne nice though.
just like the G4 april fools joke....it fooled me. Now I am little cautious with you guys.
I read the topic last week.
Great joke.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 03:14:29 AM »
The G-4 was a joke by that lying scumbag of a Holländer, but a brilliant one!  :mrgreen:

The six way switch isn't. At least that is the conventional wisdom here. Personally, I think it is a great idea for the G-3 pup configuration and makes sense. I think the "G-6" in question is actually more of a "Gripper-6" as it has a set neck, not a bolt-on one like Grabbers and G-3s do. I herewith demand a pic of it here. It is beautiful.

Sorry, I can't help you with the way my second G-3 was wired, because I got it that way. It was a while before I noticed why it sounded different to my other (stock wiring) G-3. I'm so crap at wiring, I have to go to my luthier for even the simplest repairs. I can't believe that the wiring of the G-3 is a challenge though to anybody knowing just a little about it.

Uwe

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 03:19:06 AM »
No that's not lying, that is manipulating the truth. You should know that, being a lawyer... :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 03:21:56 AM »
I forgot. So you didn't have sex with that bass?