Author Topic: Player '67-'68 EBO-3 snagged off ebay  (Read 8939 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Player '67-'68 EBO-3 snagged off ebay
« on: October 05, 2008, 06:13:29 AM »
 Well it was more than I could take. This well worn EBO  was up this morning with a BIN of $650. Looks solid and I hope with a good set up it plays well. I can't see paying the bucks they want for a SG bass and right now there is no way I can afford a nice 60's EB3 like my fav bassist Jimmy Lea used before he got his John Birch so I think this will fit the bill nicely. I might replace the full size humbucker with a mini, I like the location of the bridge pickup better than where Gibson put 'em. I'll keep ya posted.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Player '67-'68 EBO-3 snagged off ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
Nice score Scott.  I agree with you on the SG and vintage EB prices.  Although, things are pretty depressed right now on eBay, so it is a good time to buy IMO.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 09:08:25 AM »
 It is a good time to buy if you have the $. I really was not looking to buy anything at the moment but I really miss my '67 EB3 that I had. This will do fine.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 10:13:12 AM »
Nice!!! I love old and battered basses!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 10:22:49 AM »
Nice!!! I love old and battered basses!
Yea me to ! nothing like honest player wear. Someone must have loved this bass because they played the snot out of it.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 12:36:26 PM »

A white refin perhaps?  Didn't Jimmy have one?   BTW great score, I'd love to have one but with a Nikki Sixx 'Bird ordered and our BaCH project on the horizon I have to be a "good girl" with my money
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 12:59:02 PM »
They do look good in white

But I like that one as is - well loved, and I bet it'll sound sweet with the pickup in that spot.  Nice score!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 02:24:13 PM »
 OMG I love that bass, That was up on ebay awhile ago wasn't it ? I'm not sure what I will do with this bass. I really want to do a white Jimmy Lea EB3 but given the pickup location it might not be the right bass. The more I think about it I am going to put a mini bucker in there.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 05:56:41 PM »
OMG I love that bass, That was up on ebay awhile ago wasn't it ? I'm not sure what I will do with this bass. I really want to do a white Jimmy Lea EB3 but given the pickup location it might not be the right bass. The more I think about it I am going to put a mini bucker in there.

Posted before, but like this?

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 04:03:26 AM »
 Egads ! What a great shot ! Jimmy's '63-65  Cherry EB3 started out stock and was soon modded by John Birch with a extra  Middle pick up of JB design and a built in distortion unit. The bass  remained in that configuration from '72 till about 75 when Jimmy had mentioned he might like the bass white and while the bass was at JB's for some minor work it had a complete overhaul .Two JB hyperflux pickups replaced the two Gibson pickups, a large white pickguard covering almost the entire top of the bass was fitted and the bass was finished in white, From what I hear when Jimmy got the bass back he was livid ! A short time later the bass was stolen from JB's shop and Birch built Jimmy this. Thats jimmy holding his bass and my John Diggens built replica.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 04:20:54 AM »
Yeah, that sounds about right - that shot was from the fall of 1975, at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 04:42:51 AM »
Yeah, that sounds about right - that shot was from the fall of 1975, at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ.
Is that shot by you ? Where you there ?

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 06:09:06 AM »
Is that shot by you ? Where you there ?

Yes and yes. 3rd row aisle - my first, and still LOUDEST concert. ;D

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 08:24:51 AM »

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can ya not love it $6.19 to see Slade, that redefines the term "good old days".

AWESOME!

Love Jim's bass, I've always wondered about Dave (H) Hill's  guitar too. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 07:12:32 PM »
 DAves Guitar was made by him and his dad using a Gibson neck. One of the first guitars I ever saw using a Humbcker at the bridge and a Strat pup at the neck.