Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

Clapton's 'The Fool' Gibson SG

(1/7) > >>

Chris P.:
Just a nice story I wanted to share. No real 'point' and only some guitar content;)

Last friday I was visiting a local bookstore when my I fell on two words on a book: 'Fool' and 'Posthuma'. As a sixties fan I immediately knew what that meant!

In the sixties a Dutch painter called Simon Posthuma, his girlfriend Marijke Kooger, an English guy called Barry and a girl named Josje formed art group called The Fool. They moved to London and they:

- Designed the original Sgt Pepper's sleeve. It was rejected, but they used it as an innersleeve at the first pressings.
- They decorated the Beatles Apple store outside and inside and they designed all the clothes which were sold.
- The made record covers and clothes for The Hollies and Cream.
- The Beatles wore their clothes during the famous All You Need Is Love broadcast.
- They painted Jack Bruce's Bass VI and the famous Clapton's SG.
- They made the original Wonderwall. Someone made a movie out of that and a gy with only one big eyebrow called a song after it in the 90s.
- They made records, produced by Booker T. Jones (they lived on his ranche), with Jony Mitchell, Graham Nash, Booker T. and much more famous people on it and they scored a 12 weeks number 1 hit in Holland.

That's just some of the achievements.

Well, this Simon has written a book which reads as aboys adventure. Brilliant. In Dutch only, but if it's a succes they'll try to get English and German translations out.

Yesterday I went to the book launch party and it was great to have a talk with the guy who designed/painted one of the most famous guitars ever. We talked about the SG, the fact it went for 500.000 dollars at an auction and the Vintage copies which are not official. A great guy, a great story and it's a pity they're not that well known in Holland...

Dave W:
You forgot the part about the paint fouling up the Bass VI's electronics, which is why Jack bought the Longhorn he used on Disraeli Gears.

http://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/cream/basses.htm

Bernardduur:
He Chris!

How is this book called? Need something else to read then medical journals and stuff :)

Chris P.:
@ 'prince' Bernhard:

'A Fool Such As I' by Simon Posthuma & Joost Goosen
Uitgeverij Nieuw Amsterdam
ISBN 9789046804339

@ Dave:
That story's new for me. Thanks. I wonder what happened to the VI though...

Dave W:
Chris, according to that page, it's believed to be owned by Leslie West. The site owner still updates the site, but that page hasn't been updated since 2001.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version