Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

EB3 Anomalies?

(1/4) > >>

GonzoBass:
While doing research and working on my project EB3 I've noticed a few weird things:

- No serial number.
I've seen them stamped into the back of the headstock,
but there's no sign of one here.

- No truss rod access.
Nothing under the cover plate on the headstock or at the neck butt.

- Most EB3s I've seen have a black face on the headstock,
with the inlayed logo.
This one was always stained the same color as the cherry body,
with a black pinstripe around it
and "Gibson" in white paint.

Do any of these seemingly odd facts mean anything to anyone
or are these just normal variations?
 ???

eb2:
It sounds downright batty.  You need to get some pics up here to illustrate this.  I have heard of Gibsons with no serial number from the mid 70s as many of them for a short time came with a serial number on a sticker which could have been peeled off or lost.  I don't know if those were on the last EB3s.  But every Gibson came with a truss rod, and never have I seen an EB3 with a painted on logo.  I hate to say it but it sounds like a Philippine or Vietnamese knock-off from the bad old days.  The Japanese instruments - good and bad - had truss rods.

EvilLordJuju:
Yeah, that sounds really dodgy. No truss rod is a REALLY bad sign

Dave W:
Just for reference, here are the pics you've posted before at Jules' place and here:

Dave W:
I hadn't looked closely at the pics before. If there's no headstock truss rod access -- or evidence that there was access that has been plugged up since -- then everything else aside, it's not a Gibson.

Most slothead-era EB-3s had no black overlay but they had pearl inlaid lettering. Obviously this is not a slothead anyway, it's styled like the later EB-3 incarnation. You wouldn't have found one from the factory with painted-on letters and a pinstriped border.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version