Author Topic: Scaling new heights (or lows) of coldblooded moral depravity ...  (Read 282 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Jeez, reptile group sex enlivens the pythons, we never had that when I was young ...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/19/florida-burmese-pythons

« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 11:01:26 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Scaling new heights (or lows) of coldblooded moral depravity ...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 12:23:35 PM »
Florida. Say no more.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 01:06:45 PM »
It's where woke reptile sex goes to die!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 02:02:01 PM by uwe »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 01:36:13 PM »
Yesterday we were having a beer by the lake in our neighborhood here in Colorado. The ice just melted off it about a week ago. Our neighbors' son is in college in NY and was visiting, along with his girlfriend from Florida.

They were shoving off on a little flat-bottomed party boat with the help of the father.  We were sitting about 30 feet away, and I clearly heard her ask "Are there alligators?".  I could not muffle my laugh quickly enough.

Florida.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 05:49:46 PM »
Cut the poor girl some slack, growing up in Florida she's been warned of alligators so often in her life, she identifies any type of inland water region with it!  :mrgreen:

And then there is me who on his first trip to the Everglades spent two friggin' days there without seeing a single one! The only bites I got were from mosquitoes, those however plenty.   :-[

I went again during mating season (alligators', not mosquitoes') and was richly rewarded.  8)

PS: Never underestimate the adaptability of reptiles AND DO NOT show this to your neighbors' son's girlfriend ...

https://www.kktv.com/video/2023/02/16/watch-colorado-gators-enjoying-snow-yes-gators-colorado/

« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 06:09:26 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 10:27:30 PM »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 06:53:23 AM »
At least reptiles kept as pets are harmless.

Colorado man died from pet Gila monster’s venomous bite, autopsy shows

That's comforting to know.  You can be BFF with your pet Gila monster.  Or maybe not.  I've never understood why some people are convinced they have some kind of mystical, animal whisperer connection with wild animals.  No thanks.  I'm perfectly willing to pass on that.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2024, 07:38:22 AM »
Speaking of Florida, I ran across this unusual story about fish behavior in the Florida Keys yesterday. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 08:19:46 AM »
At least reptiles kept as pets are harmless.

Colorado man died from pet Gila monster’s venomous bite, autopsy shows

But Dave, that's just a gun accident - Gila keeping is protected by the Second Amendment!

Seriously, the guy had pre-conditions and Gilas aren't "monsters" and generally very peaceful. Generally. A toxic bite from a reptile is no laughing matter - painful even to a healthy person. There are two types of reptile toxins, the neurotoxic ones that will impair your breathing system and the ones that will give you an immediate septic shock as they begin to pre-digest the bitten part for later reptile devouring. My four monitors are very tame and good-natured, but once a year or so I am reminded of their razor-sharp micro-teeth when I am distracted for a moment while feeding them pieces of fresh meat - their sense of differentiation between the meat and my fingers - ouch! - isn't great you know. And once bitten they don't let go either, that tasty warm mammal blood ...

Do I believe I'm friends with them?  ;D I believe to them I am a "non-threatening alien life form that brings food with it" which I guess gives me sort of a deity status with them.  :mrgreen: But you know how there have always been uprisings against perceived gods too.

I myself wouldn't wanna keep a seriously toxic animal - if you do, my pet theeory (in a literal sense!) is that you get a kick out of controlling something dangerous ... If the environment was right and affordable, I wouldn't be above keeping an alligator or two (I hear Edith saying: "Over my dead body which you can then conveniently feed to them!:mrgreen: ) I've been fascinated by reptiles since I was a child and the Africa stay only exacerbated things.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 08:38:15 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 08:32:49 AM »
Speaking of Florida, I ran across this unusual story about fish behavior in the Florida Keys yesterday. 

That does look a lot like algae poisoning. We had that in 2022 in the Oder (one of the largest German-Polish-Czech rivers) where man-made salt emissions had toxic algae blooming otherwise only known in brack water, it wreaked havoc with the ecosystem from fish to invertebrates. So much life died in a few weeks, it will take several decades for the river to recuperate.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 09:58:22 AM by uwe »