Author Topic: I give up on Epiphone and Gibson  (Read 819 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: I give up on Epiphone and Gibson
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2024, 06:47:47 AM »
The pickup rings have an advantage. If you use the pickup as a thumbrest it's a bit more comfortable.

I compared the '24 to my '76. The green-ish silver looks so different than the sunburst, I used a caliper to be sure. I'll write down a lot of differences, but it's real close! I like this one much better than my returned Inverness non rev Gibson. This is a review bass though...

Weight: no notable difference - light!
Sound: close!
Neck: My '76 is 2mm smaller at the nut, but a bit wider at the body. The '24 is 2mm flatter, so the '76 is a bit rounder.
Headstock: same size, the TRC is made from heavier plastic on the Epi. The  '76 has reverse tuners.
Body: My '76 looks a bit thinner here and there.
Logo: different position and of course it's coloured on the Bicentennial.
Bridge: tune-o-matic versus three point.
Input: on the back/side now. Better. It looks cleaner too, although it isn't original.
Controls: no spacing difference on the Epi.
Pickups: placing is a bit different, but maybe correct for a '64. Just some millimeters. Which in America will be: Some Freedom Eagle Feathers difference.

All in all very impressive, cool looking, nice playing, good sounding, and quite accurate.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2024, 07:00:04 AM »
One more thing: On some Gibson pics it looks really silver, but there's a bit green in it. A very warm colour.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2024, 08:03:41 AM »
That's a compelling argument in favor of this bass I wish I didn't hear. Moving the output jack (That's what it should be called by the way) off the front is pretty slick. Looks better that way and eliminates the potential for breaks. Still, I'd rather save up for something extra special as tempting as these 64 Epis may be. I'll say it again because it bears repeating.
Gibson simply has to make a fiftieth anniversary Bicentennial Thunderbird for 2026.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2024, 09:17:18 AM »
I can't get worked up about any of this. Whatever works better.

Honestly, to me, we're splitting some pretty short hairs with it - either version is a fine instrument in my judgement. I'm very happy to own them. I don't think the online shots do justice to the colors, the red is just beautiful.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2024, 02:56:25 AM »
That's a compelling argument in favor of this bass I wish I didn't hear. Moving the output jack (That's what it should be called by the way) off the front is pretty slick. Looks better that way and eliminates the potential for breaks. Still, I'd rather save up for something extra special as tempting as these 64 Epis may be. I'll say it again because it bears repeating.
Gibson simply has to make a fiftieth anniversary Bicentennial Thunderbird for 2026.

Input/output. The jack goes in, the sound goes out. I guess people will understand:

Bicentennial: please don't mention that bass will be 50 soon. I'm as old as that bass and I don't wanna know!

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2024, 05:50:33 PM »
Hey, we're just catching up to the rest of the cool kids around here. I don't envy the youth when it comes to what they're looking at for buying a house now. Fifty isn't really such a huge number. Just fifty thousand bucks gets you that new Jimmy Page double neck. What a deal!  :o
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2024, 09:22:32 AM »
Since it was a slow work day I decided to summarize the issue at hand

Shouldn't the original Embassy bass be in there somewhere?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2024, 09:23:57 AM »
   Sigh. I don't have the energy to pursue this topic any longer, discuss amongst yourselves if you desire. I  am just baffled how they could take something as near perfect as the Vintage Pro and F it up. I need to lie down it's making my head hurt.

And they charge more for it, too.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2024, 09:35:37 AM »
Hey, we're just catching up to the rest of the cool kids around here. I don't envy the youth when it comes to what they're looking at for buying a house now. Fifty isn't really such a huge number. Just fifty thousand bucks gets you that new Jimmy Page double neck. What a deal!  :o

They're also making a lot more money (generally speaking) as they come into the house-buying years too. Plus, they're generally not amenable to fixer-uppers, which is something many of us just accepted as a matter of course. Every generation has its challenges - personally, I'd rather deal with this than the Depression, WWII or Vietnam.