Author Topic: Sam Ash on the decline  (Read 194 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Sam Ash on the decline
« on: March 07, 2024, 08:56:32 PM »
Sam Ash to close 18 of its 44 US stores

They've been advertising a15% off code on Facebook the past couple of weeks, applicable to anything in stock, even to brands with MAP. They're obviously in inventory reduction mode. Not a good sign.

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Sam Ash on the decline
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 12:13:11 AM »
Covid-related lockdown was probably the last time there will ever be a surge in guitar sales for these big, generic retailers with physical stores. Guitar 'culture' seems increasingly irrelevant and at odds with the direction popular music is taking. Coverage of NAMM from thus year looked especially desolate, with several major manufactures notable in their absence. Increasingly, guitar culture is becoming akin to baseball card collecting, with a smaller pool of hobbyists with deep pockets determining the discourse. $600 boutique overdrive pedals that never leave the 'man cave', etc.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 08:09:10 AM »
Covid-related lockdown was probably the last time there will ever be a surge in guitar sales for these big, generic retailers with physical stores. Guitar 'culture' seems increasingly irrelevant and at odds with the direction popular music is taking. Coverage of NAMM from thus year looked especially desolate, with several major manufactures notable in their absence. Increasingly, guitar culture is becoming akin to baseball card collecting, with a smaller pool of hobbyists with deep pockets determining the discourse. $600 boutique overdrive pedals that never leave the 'man cave', etc.
Totally agree with the baseball card collecting reference.  I see so much of it in the TalkBass Thunderbird group.  WHY?

Not sure about guitar culture becoming irrelevant, though.  I see a lot of really good younger players, and with the writeups about Taylor Swift influencing tons of young women to pick up a guitar.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 08:29:07 AM »
They just closed the one near me (Buffalo Grove, IL). Kind of shocking while not shocking at all. I barely ever set foot in a music store anymore. I almost never buy a NEW bass, and I buy strings online.

And Alan's comments bring up something I've been thinking about a lot lately. The bubble is going to burst on things like guitars and muscle cars, and I'm sure a lot of other things. The people who worship these things are getting to the age where they're selling things off or dying. Guitars and cars are outrageously priced right now, but I don't see them as a good investment anymore. Their popularity won't go away completely, but demand will eventually plummet, and so will values. Just my opinion.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 09:29:53 AM »
Everything seems better when looking back. We live in an era which will one day to a lot of people appear as "good old times".

I believe that rock will remain a sizable niche market (it already is) with some longevity. And to a young band still playing rock in say 2040, something like a 90ies TBird will be a thing of awe and wonder. My son who is in fashion buys old denim from 1890 or so or narrowly post-WWII beaver felt stocks for the California company he works for, he laughingly ascribes "vintage & mojo voodoo" to them. There is definitely a market for that and it's not nostalgic baby boomers, it's (well-to-do) people in their 20ies to 40ies.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 08:09:17 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 10:17:13 AM »
I see your point, but look at the percentage of "well-to-do" people versus the general public. I still think supply will outpace demand.