Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

thunderdisaster

(1/3) > >>

wellREDman:
so my Krugerands into Gibson mission has struck the rocks.

I bought a 93 thunderbird from Reverb, when I got it and tuned it to pitch there was a horrible rattling when playing the open E and A. I took it to my local guitar tech to check out to see if it just needed a setup or  I had bought a lemon. 

The results are not good.
 He got the buzzing to go away with a truss rod adjustment, but a twist in the neck means the G is always going to have a reasonably high action (TBH i could live with this, I played it like it and it didn't seem all that high)

But worse when he was putting new strings on it the E tuner cog is broken.

I dont know whether to at this point engage with Reverb to get my money back  or keep it and ask for the price of a new machine head to be refunded?

my guy says that to replace it with a non Gibson part will require a larger hole to be reamed which will obviously affect the value. how likely am I to be able to find a replacement?

what do I do ?

gearHed289:
There should be no reaming required to replace the tuner. It's likely a Schaller M4 or Gotoh GB7, possibly stamped "GIBSON" on the back. I've got a set of (4) black Schallers that say Gibson that I've been thinking of selling, but they are for a 2+2 headstock (came off my Les Paul).

TBird1958:

Hipshot also has some nice mini clovers that should drop in, they look great too. have them deduct 120.00 from the sale.

uwe:
With the amount of neck breaks TBirds have, a spare tuner cropping up wouldn't surprise me.

Twists in maho necks are rarer than in maple ones, but they do happen.

I also don't think that one replacement tuner is going to affect the value of a '93 TBird in a relevant way. I for one prefer working non-original to non-working original.

ilan:
Definitely open a dispute through Reverb and get your money back. Even if you can live with the neck twist, it seriously devalues the bass and makes it nearly impossible to sell. You may have to swallow shipping costs but it's worth it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version