Author Topic: Epiphone for 2024  (Read 4194 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: Epiphone for 2024
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2024, 10:43:16 AM »
If you're talking about the G2 branded Gene Simmons affiliated version of the V, I'm guessing it got shelved probably because the G2 bird didn't sell.
The Epi Grabber will probably do well even if the pickup doesn't slide. As long as it has the cool little truss rod cover that says "The Grabber" on it. A good option would be to put a cat emoji sticker on after the The.  ;D
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2024, 02:39:06 PM »
Both the original Epi Ripper (actually a non-sliding pup Grabber, the muted single pup sounded cheap and nondescript) and the much later Ripper Limited Reissue (with its P/J combo and a bolt-on neck more a Fender really, but not bad sounding at all) didn‘t sell well. Neither did the Gibson Grabber II, Ripper II and G-3 Tribute reissues by the Gibson mothership (all three of them substantially better than the 70ies Gibson originals). Compared to the SG- + TB-shapes, the pancake Ripper/Grabber/G-3 body shape is an acquired taste though I grew to like it over the years. The all-maple-induced weight won’t make it a sure seller either.

I’d be surprised if the new one will have a shelf life of more than 18 months before deletion, but then model longevity is rare with modern day Epi basses, I can only think of the TBird and the JC Signature as rare exceptions.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 02:46:30 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2024, 02:47:48 PM »
Don't forget the Epi EB-0.
That one is a mainstay as well

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2024, 02:56:43 PM »
Haven‘t they given up on that - I thought so?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2024, 08:41:21 PM »
Both the original Epi Ripper (actually a non-sliding pup Grabber, the muted single pup sounded cheap and nondescript) and the much later Ripper Limited Reissue (with its P/J combo and a bolt-on neck more a Fender really, but not bad sounding at all) didn‘t sell well. Neither did the Gibson Grabber II, Ripper II and G-3 Tribute reissues by the Gibson mothership (all three of them substantially better than the 70ies Gibson originals). Compared to the SG- + TB-shapes, the pancake Ripper/Grabber/G-3 body shape is an acquired taste though I grew to like it over the years. The all-maple-induced weight won’t make it a sure seller either.

I’d be surprised if the new one will have a shelf life of more than 18 months before deletion, but then model longevity is rare with modern day Epi basses, I can only think of the TBird and the JC Signature as rare exceptions.

The Allen Woody Rumblekat and the Viola Bass have been around for many years. at least 15 years in both cases. The Embassy Bass hasn't been around that long, but it's been more than 18 months and it's still being made.

Don't forget the Epi EB-0.
That one is a mainstay as well

Haven‘t they given up on that - I thought so?

I see it's no longer on the Epi website and it's out of stock at  lot of retailers, but there are still new ones in stock.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2024, 02:52:23 AM »
I think they must have quit making the Epi EB-0.  But they came out with the Epiphone SG bass E-1 which seems to be the same thing with a different name.  Why they named it that, I have no idea.  Several years ago, I found a deal using coupons in which I was able to buy a new Epi EB-0 for slightly over $200.  New ones cost $289.  I got it because it was so cheap.  And since I had a Gibson EB-0, I thought I'd get an Epi one, too.  I've barely played it because I have too many other basses which are better and I'd rather play them.  The Epi EB-0/SG Bass E-1 is a beginner's bass.  But getting one could lead to advancing upward toward getting better basses in the future.  It can also be used as a beater bass.  As has already been mentioned, they seem to be getting harder to find and they're no longer on Epiphone's site.  So I don't know what's going on with them.  On the other hand, the EB-3 isn't on the site, either. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 10:48:52 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2024, 02:26:00 PM »
They've given up on the EB-3 too - which should have been called EB-3L as it was a long scale model.

I'm not knocking Epi, I have a few. Their model policy is based on being an entry level/budget brand. They know their customers - if they stick to playing music - will eventually move to other brands, hopefully Gibson of course. Epi's model policy tries to create attention with first wave buyers as opposed to nurturing brand loyalty.

Most Epis were never badly made, it was the pups that often let them down. And with those early models emulating classic Gibson models with which they (re)started about a quarter of a century ago as Gibson's budget arm (their de facto 'Gripper' model among them) that was especially true.

The early Epi Ripper:

The later one:

Everything will boil down to the quality of the pup of that coming Grabber if you are not hung up on the sliding mechanism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=5p4djdkfAis
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 04:50:05 PM by uwe »

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2024, 06:00:40 AM »
Was anything launched at NAMM? I've not seen any photos yet.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2024, 06:04:37 AM »
Gibson, Rickenbacker and Fender did not attend NAMM. MusicMan, Ibanez and Yamaha were the only big names there, and no big announcements either. Neve-designed pickups on the Yamaha Pacifica, new finish options for MM, the Ibanez Pat Metheney model now has a Charlie Christian pickup, that's pretty much it. And with the smaller and boutique manufacturers - more composite materials and multi-scale fanned fret 7-string guitars.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 06:18:36 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2024, 07:20:57 AM »
Gibson, Rickenbacker and Fender did not attend NAMM. MusicMan, Ibanez and Yamaha were the only big names there, and no big announcements either. Neve-designed pickups on the Yamaha Pacifica, new finish options for MM, the Ibanez Pat Metheney model now has a Charlie Christian pickup, that's pretty much it. And with the smaller and boutique manufacturers - more composite materials and multi-scale fanned fret 7-string guitars.

NAMM is obviously not what it used to be.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2024, 07:25:01 AM »
Forgot to mention the new Ashdown basses, long and short scale, they seem nice, $320

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2024, 07:27:01 AM »
That looks nice and simple.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2024, 09:13:26 AM »
Wasn't there a Gibson showcase event in LA last Thursday? I thought there was some new custom color Epiphone Thunderbirds being talked about. Inverness Green, Silver Mist and Ember Red perhaps?  :popcorn:
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2024, 10:50:27 AM »
That Ashdown looks sharp! Nothing unnecessary. Simplicity rules. Good enough for me.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2024, 11:20:33 AM »
The Ashdown looks a bit barren and featureless? Like a small face on a big head. Small pickup, small knobs and miles of empty land in between them.

I don't like Ashdown amps, so nothing would inspire me to try their basses.