Author Topic: WTF?  (Read 363 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
WTF?
« on: November 10, 2023, 05:28:25 PM »
Meet Max Hightower:

If I would have gone to school with Max in the early to mid seventies, I would have probably said about him: "Between a boy and a girl, Max is somewhere in the middle." and that would have been that. Whether in a school play he would have played a boy or a girl, I wouldn't have cared either way, not that I was great fan of school plays. There have always been people like Max.

My school days are long past, yet I have to read something like this and my mind just boggles:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/2023/11/08/why-was-a-transgender-texas-teen-removed-from-his-lead-role-in-a-school-musical/?outputType=amp

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/nov/10/trans-teen-oklahoma-role-max-hightower

Mind you, I'm not above making ribald jokes ---> doughnut bumper about the LGBTQ movement and sometimes it gets  - like any activist movement can - plain on my nerves. But this type of a desperate rollback denying what has always existed (and especially in theater and entertainment arts which have always attracted people who weren't all that obsessed with choosing a side) leaves me gaping. It's theater culture-historically inane too: Hell, in Shakespearean times, women were largely not even allowed to act and most women roles in his plays were initially played by men/boys. (That this turned a majority of British men into gays and had the population of the British Isles die out subsequently has not found its way into anthropological records so far.)

Max of course wasn't cast to play a woman, he was to play a male role in the school's performance of the musical 'Oklahoma!' Why that needs to be taken away from him because he is apparently "not male enough" to some people, is beyond me. How bigoted - and scared shitless about your own positioning on the gender scale - can you be?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 05:40:25 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

doombass

• View Profile
Re: WTF?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 05:48:38 PM »
Certainly a quite tiresome read. I don'y get it either.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 11:06:07 AM »
Uwe labels it simply and clearly: Bigotry. There is a massive outbreak of it in the US., often hidden under a thin veneer of religion. It might as well be the Klan walking around in hoods.

It is deeply disturbing, and even MORE disturbing that more people aren't up in arms about it.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 03:46:37 PM »

Texas............

Having visited I still can't grasp what anyone sees in that state. Sorry.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 08:41:18 AM »
This kind of stuff just leaves me speechless. Like a lot of other things that have been going on over the past 8 years or so.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 02:47:34 PM »

Texas............

Having visited I still can't grasp what anyone sees in that state. Sorry.

When I moved to TX to work at A&M (85-98) I planned to stay only 5 years, but got into a PhD program and ended up there 13 years. It was worth it, because the degree got me OUT of Texas!

Many good people, many good times and interesting places and history, but the state is an entirely different culture from anywhere I've ever been in the northern tier. It has only gotten more bizarre.

It really is a country with its own culture.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 11:44:00 PM »
the school board, by a 7-0 vote has overruled the school administration.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2023, 07:13:53 AM »
Cue the death threats to the board members.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2023, 11:38:46 AM »
Let's hope not.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2023, 02:56:33 PM »
I'm always happy if people correct their own mistakes. Not everyone does.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/nov/15/texas-trans-student-musical-max-hightower

You just wish that people would sometimes think before they decided on something. Still, a happy end of sorts. May Max play whatever roles his acting is good enough for going forward.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 03:02:05 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...