Author Topic: Pine body P  (Read 432 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Pine body P
« on: October 28, 2023, 08:31:56 AM »
Instead of the notorious northern ash boat anchor bodies, this '79 has a 4lbs. pine body from MJT. Seems to work really well.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 12:11:30 PM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Pine wood body
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 09:17:55 AM »
I've had a couple of pine bodied guitars in the past. The major downside I found was that you get one shot at tightening screws before the thread is munched out the wood. They were soft bodies in general and prone to dings and dents.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 09:27:07 AM »
Well as you can see I'm not worried about dings ;) Good point about the screws.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 01:16:19 PM »
Well as you can see I'm not worried about dings ;) Good point about the screws.

Yep, if they strip out you'd probably have to resort to inserts which are glued in.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 02:38:39 PM »
Yep, if they strip out you'd probably have to resort to inserts which are glued in.

YouTube luthier Ted Woodford showed an interesting solution recently. He drilled a pilot hole, then used the screw to tap the thread into the hole. He then took out the screw and ran thin superglue into the hole to harden the thread into the wood. I guess you could do this, if you can stomach introducing superglue to a nearly finished instrument body.

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Pine body P
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2023, 03:10:43 PM »
I usually use toothpicks for stripped pickguard or strap button screw holes, and solder wire for tuner or TRC screw holes.

Former Ric CEO John Hall once suggested putting some drops of water into the stripped hole and waiting for the wood to expand and dry, no glue, no toothpicks, no plugs. I've never tried this. Maybe it's good for Ric's maple bodies, pretty sure it won't work on pine.