Author Topic: Clapton's Fool SG up for auction  (Read 891 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Clapton's Fool SG up for auction
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2023, 03:23:46 PM »
No, it was bought by James Irsay, owner of the (NFL) Indianapolis Colts.

From the article:

Highlights of his collection – for which he was offered over $1 billion – include Jimi Hendrix’s ‘65 Fender Jazzmaster, David Gilmour’s Black Strat and Kurt Cobain’s Smells Like Teen Spirit Mustang. Irsay’s own personal highlight from the collection, though, is Bob Dylan’s Newport Folk Festival sunburst Fender Strat – the same model that was once found in an attic – which he called “one of the most important instruments in rock ‘n’ roll history”.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2023, 10:11:26 AM »
Well, in that case that SG is now exactly where it belongs, namely in a collection of 20th century cultural artifacts. In essence, a bunch of rock'n'roll Stradivaris. A good home. You don't really want guitars like that to be continued to be played until they need a refin, a refret or new pups - they need to be preserved in the state they were used to write rock history.

I agree with his assessment of the Dylan Strat btw. Dylan was no Chuck Berry or Jimi Hendrix in a musical sense, but he brought the power of social commentary into rock music.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2023, 01:55:26 PM »
Well, in that case that SG is now exactly where it belongs, namely in a collection of 20th century cultural artifacts. In essence, a bunch of rock'n'roll Stradivaris. A good home. You don't really want guitars like that to be continued to be played until they need a refin, a refret or new pups - they need to be preserved in the state they were used to write rock history.

I agree with his assessment of the Dylan Strat btw. Dylan was no Chuck Berry or Jimi Hendrix in a musical sense, but he brought the power of social commentary into rock music.

The Fool SG has already been repaired extensively during Rundgren's ownership - retouching, clear-coating, replacement of portions of the neck, headstock and some electronics - so it's not exactly pristine. Somebody actually built him a replica, which he said played and sounded better than the original.

Dylan's Strat is is of great importance primarily because he used it onstage at Newport, which was his first-ever performance on electric guitar. That set was seen as a turning point in popular music - where acoustic folk and electric rock were inexorably linked. Dylan's hard-core fans were horrified by his embrace of the electric.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2023, 02:12:24 PM »
I'm just not relating at all to the fanaticism of acoustic guitar fans.  Somehow by accident, I once landed on a forum in which there was a flame war between electric and acoustic fans.  Normally, I'm not on any guitar forum at all.  But I was briefly on that one.  That was the most intense warfare on a forum except for one other forum I was once on.  I've heard about how horrified Dylan's hardcore fans were when he switched to electric at Newport and I believe it. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2023, 02:12:58 PM »
I know. He and The Band were booed at some gigs of their later UK tour too - folk fans couldn't handle it, any rock'n'roll element was perceived as intellectually lightweight and not authentic, an escapist passing fad. It must have bee akin to Led Zep performing in, say, 1974 with a dance troupe and horns during Stairway To Heaven.

Which would have given that song some entertainment value for once.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2023, 09:01:25 AM »
Marijke Koger still paints guitars.

https://www.facebook.com/marijke.kogerdunham

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2023, 11:01:27 AM »
I wasn't even aware of her, how embarrassing, she's an indelible part of pop culture!

https://marijkekogerart.com/marijkeKoger/psychedelicGuitarArt.php

Alles Gute kommt aus Holland.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 03:20:42 PM by uwe »

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2023, 11:17:42 AM »
I know. He and The Band were booed at some gigs of their later UK tour too - folk fans couldn't handle it, any rock'n'roll element was perceived as intellectually lightweight and not authentic, an escapist passing fad. It must have bee akin to Led Zep performing in, say, 1974 with a dance troupe and horns during Stairway To Heaven.

Oh dear, this sounds like a prompt for a "oddest cover songs" thread...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2023, 02:51:53 PM »
I wasn't even aware of her, how embarrassing, she's an indelible part of pop culture!

https://marijkekogerart.com/marijkeKoger/psychedelicGuitarArt.php

She is. But don't feel bad, you are concentrating at fallschirmjäger while I try to concentrate on Dutch popart.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2023, 03:54:46 PM »
 :mrgreen:

All great art kommt aus Holland!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2023, 10:51:49 PM »

All I can say is that although it can have many merits, sometimes I can't handle folk music, either.  I never wanted to boycott it, though, or help start a riot against it. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2023, 06:48:03 AM »
Fate had it that even at an advanced age I saw myself confronted with an avalanche of folk music!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2023, 10:33:29 AM »
But there is a big difference between traditional American folk music and neo-medieval folk rock.  In general, I'm not very enthusiastic about the former.  I had mentioned in another post about Nordic Roots music.  Sometimes this can seem like a blend of medieval folk and rock.  It can be odd and maybe even a little unsettling, but a band like Hoven Droven which I've also mentioned can get my attention.  You just don't hear stuff like this at your local venue with a cover band.   At least I don't.  If i were in Sweden, I might be able to speak about it with a little more authority.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2023, 04:17:39 PM »
Marijke Koger still paints guitars.
https://www.facebook.com/marijke.kogerdunham

Peter Cook is a FB friend of hers...
I've not been following/replicating her style of fins...  :mrgreen:

And if you're throwing in some Joan Baez... lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se9-HI_VjwE&ab_channel=JudasPriestVEVO
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 04:27:11 PM by Highlander »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...