Author Topic: Reverend pickups  (Read 438 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Reverend pickups
« on: October 05, 2023, 08:02:30 PM »
Now available separately

The Watt Thumpbucker is guitar humbucker sized. Always nice to see more selection on the market.

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Reverend pickups
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 11:49:04 PM »
Some interesting designs in there. I wonder who the OEM is? Potentially Boo Heung Korea, G&B or a big pickup house like that?

The Wattplower bass has a Rio Grande Pitbull in the neck, so at a guess that have copied the specs and started building them in house as the 'Thumpbucker'.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 08:13:18 AM »
You're probably right, they wouldn't be offering it separately if they weren't planning on using it instead of the Pitbull.

No idea who makes their pickups.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 06:57:40 PM »
According to their FAQ:
"Reverend guitars are built in South Korea by Mirr Music Co."

I'm unclear on whether Mirr makes pickups in-house or outsources them to other firm(s).
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2023, 02:44:39 AM »
Looking at a few sets of Reverend pickups on Reverb, removed from guitars, the pickups look surprisingly like Artecs.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/62494498-reverend-ha5-humbucker-set-chrome

The heavy brass baseplate, greasy appearance from wax potting, PVC wire insulation and even the ID sticker look the same as those found on Artec pickups. Even the baseplate drilled for the hookup cable in opposite corners is something I've seen on cheap Artecs and the like.

Where Reverend digger from me is that they can commission special runs of pickups. I doubt these are rebranded versions of existing Artec pickups (per GFS, Wilkinson, etc) but probably spec'd according to specific requirements.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2023, 04:25:01 AM »
44 Gauge Wire, Ceramic Magnet, 16Kohms? Looks like overwound madness to me, haven't found any soundclips to see what's going on.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2023, 08:03:18 AM »
44 Gauge Wire, Ceramic Magnet, 16Kohms? Looks like overwound madness to me, haven't found any soundclips to see what's going on.

With 44 gauge wire, 16K is only slightly overwound at most. Rickenbacker "hi-gains" are about 12k with 44 gauge, and despite the name, they're low output.