Author Topic: NBD Nonrev Tbird  (Read 680 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
NBD Nonrev Tbird
« on: October 02, 2023, 02:05:07 AM »
I was not planning on buying a bass (*), cos I just ordered the Vintera II Competition Orange Mustang Bass. But I bought a Inverness Green Non Reverse Thunderbird by accident.

Some weeks ago Gibson Europe (based in The Netherlands) had their artist sale. I went there the first couple of times and the first time they had many years old demo basses going for cheap. In hindsight I should've bought more, but hey.. I was glad I scored an SG Bass (I sold mine year before and I regretted that) for a very low price. I'm happy to have that back and it has a nice worn burst. Now they only sell basses and guitars of the last year and it's like the dealer price and a discount. Cheaper but no real steels.

I went there and I thought: if they have a DC Jr, Bass for cheap, I might grab one. But all they had were three nonrev Tbirds. Two in Inverness Green and a Pelham Blue. I liked the Inverness Green the most and I bought the best one. I never seen and played one in real life and I just fell in love.

Pros and cons:
Cons: Not a lot. Well, one thing: the case is just too big and heavy. Oh, and we all know it's not a complete accurate reissue of an old one, but it still is a great looker!
Pros: the smell, the looks, the baby pic of the bass in the factory. I really like the neck. I love my very narrow '76 Bicentennial neck, this one is much beefier, but it just plays nice. The sound is awesome and I can really get all the tones I like out of the two pickups. I still have the factory strings on, which seem to be okay. Last couple of years I hardly play any long scale basses. Only for reviews. I mostly play my Höfners, the SG Bass, Mustangs. But this big bass is so easy to play, I keep grabbing it!

(*) So exactly this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/thchJBHRS1I

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: NBD Nonrev Tbird
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 08:23:19 AM »

Easily Gibson's best bass for at least the last 10 years, I really like mine too. The pickups are nicely voiced, I think far better than the Epiphone 760 with much beefier lo mids and mids. The neck IS stout, much different than other neck thru Birds but has a lot in common with my '06 Studio.

This daft Bird can prattle on about it for a while starting at about 3:45.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 09:52:18 AM »
I have the Nonrev for around a month now. I got it out of the case and I saw this. When I looked at an earlier pic it was already visible a bit.

To be clear: The bass lives in it's case in a room with a normal, steady temperature. The case lies flat, and there was nothing on it. It's not near a heating device. The bas is strung with factory strings in the normal EADG tuning, and I never tuned it in another way.

Gibson offered me to take it back and I'll get my money back, which I will accept. A pity. It was a demo model I bought at the artist sale, so cheaper than normal, and I won't buy a complete new one.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 10:20:19 AM »
That's a shame, Chris. I'm no expert, but I'd guess it wasn't properly cured. It shouldn't happen on an expensive bass.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 01:19:47 PM »
Bummer.

Sloppy.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 03:19:24 PM »
Play authentic!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2023, 05:10:45 AM »
  Mine suffered from the same bubbling finish around the tuners. It's definitely due to the finish not being properly cured before assembly.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2023, 06:27:27 AM »
I had a similar issue with my 2014 EB 4 string, only the area chipped off completely. Satin Nitro.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2023, 07:57:15 AM »
That's a bummer. It's always a surprise when something weird happens with paint, but maybe it shouldn't be...chemistry is difficult and the rules and formulas keep changing.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2023, 10:51:57 AM »
That's a bummer. It's always a surprise when something weird happens with paint, but maybe it shouldn't be...chemistry is difficult and the rules and formulas keep changing.

When you charge what Gibson does for instruments, the wood should be prepared carefully, the chemistry should be 100% researched, checked and confirmed, and quality control should be excellent and meticulous.  None of those things happened in this case.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."