Author Topic: EMG TBHZ - not keeping them  (Read 223 times)

Ken

• View Profile
EMG TBHZ - not keeping them
« on: September 29, 2023, 06:46:15 AM »
I got a set of the TBHZ (passive) to try out, hoping I'd get close to the tone I was getting in those 2001 TB+, but without the noise.  Nope.  They sound almost identical to the TB+ in my 2013.

When I pick up my BC Rich at the luthier from getting a new nut I'll ask if maybe shielding would help the noise from the 2001s.  My guess is no.

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: EMG TBHZ - not keeping them
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 10:33:03 AM »
Maybe try the EY black thunderbird replacement. I don't know what year they modeled them after, but they're relatively cheap. Their 60s-style pickups are pretty good. Separate neck and bridge with option for 9.5k or 14k resistance on the bridge unit.
https://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Eric-Custom-Thundbird-Bass-PickupBridgefor-Gibson-Thunderbird_p_2636.html
https://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Eric-Custom-Thundbird-Bass-PickupNeckfor-Gibson-Thunderbird_p_2635.html
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 10:45:34 AM »
Thanks. Knowing nothing about them, I have to assume they're going to sound the same as the TB+ and EMGs.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 12:25:29 PM »
I think with you the issue might be that the pups have to operate while standing on their head? That can't be good.

Don't hit me!!!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 12:29:27 PM »
I COULD peel off the plastic covers and put new covers over the bottoms.  Hmmm.......