Author Topic: Once you’re doing harm to yourself …  (Read 421 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Once you’re doing harm to yourself …
« on: September 12, 2023, 06:32:58 AM »
… it’s perhaps time to stop.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/sep/12/aerosmith-steven-tyler-bleeding-vocal-cords-postpones-concerts

Tyler was and is a great singer and front man and always gave his all live, but if this isn’t a sign of alarm I don’t know what is.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Once you’re doing harm to yourself …
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 10:10:32 PM »
Time to cancel the remaining tour dates and hang it up.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 03:46:30 AM »
The band should have retired even before the problems like this.  So should the Rolling Stones.  Enough is enough.  You're never too old to rock and roll, but you can be too old to tour.  I'm definitely very much against ageism.  But that's not what this is.  This is just facing reality and trying to be practical.   
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 07:22:16 AM »
An old death metal singer friend of mine once asked "Is it bad if I taste blood after singing?" I'm like, yeah, if it's your own!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 08:03:58 AM »
Tyler is one of the few singers of his generation who never adapted his singing to his age. He just kept singing as if he was still 25. That's commendable in one way, but also asking for trouble.

I don't hear that with modern day Jagger for instance, he paces himself well and has never gone beyond (or to the limit) of what he still can do. He's very good at giving people the "Jagger voice" they want to hear without overstretching himself. And his every economical, but effective vocal technique is underrated. People tend to forget what a proficient singer he is when they marvel at the stage athlete.

He sounds incredibly young, yet not overly vocally processed on the new single.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 08:15:26 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 09:09:54 AM »
I saw that video "Angry" by the Stones a few days ago.  I have to admit, that's not bad.  Maybe better than this one they came out with a few years ago.

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 12:46:17 PM »
Any vid with Kristen Stewart in it can’t be bad, I even watched those vampire romance teen flicks for her (and they were still infinitely better than that Mockingjay crap with Ms Lawrence!). She’s a thinking man’s definition of hot. I should know, I am one!  :mrgreen:

Kristen needs to improve on her gear shifting skills though, those have “raised on automatics” written all over them.

That Blues album from a few years ago by the Stones though was underwhelming. They sound better when they rip people off and sell it as their own. 😉

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 04:24:09 PM »
I can't ever recall being critical of Kristin Stewart.  My criticism of the video has to do with the song itself.  I enjoyed "Angry" a lot more.  I was surprised at "Angry" while watching random videos on YouTube.  As for Kristin Stewart's manual driving skills, they're not as good as mine, but she has a lot of other skills I don't have.  Numerous skills. 

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 08:03:47 AM »
A little blood never stopped Sonny Boy Williamson. Here's another version of Robbie Robertson's take on the story. Hope Steven Talarico gets it straightened out. Too bad Sonny couldn't look after himself better.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.