Author Topic: The greatest ski run I have ever seen  (Read 482 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
The greatest ski run I have ever seen
« on: August 23, 2023, 11:39:56 AM »
I still remember this 1976 run - Franz Klammer of Austria living right on the edge.  I've never seen another downhiller come so close to disaster so many times and win.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: The greatest ski run I have ever seen
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 12:46:18 AM »
Klammer's downhill run was amazing and scary...even on a 13" B&W TV (I was 15 at the time). So glad that the footage of that 1976 run is available on the net. That run, along with USA hockey beating the Soviets in 1980 are my two all-time favorite Olympic moments.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 01:54:29 PM »
I could do that.

For about five seconds, then I would mercifully die of a heart attack or faint. Never liked skiing, the speed (coupled with my lack of control) scare(s) me.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 08:50:35 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 02:04:46 PM »
I could do that.

For about five seconds, then I would mercifully die of a heart attack or faint. Never liked skiing, the speed (coupled with my lack of control) scare(s) me.

I still ski a couple of times a year (hey, it's Colorado, ya gotta do it even at age 73) but I stay on medium runs and my speed is moderate.  Klammer was a higher form of human that day.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 08:50:47 AM by uwe »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."