Author Topic: 2001 TB+  (Read 2388 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: 2001 TB+
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2023, 12:31:53 AM »

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2023, 02:16:24 AM »
Gibson recently started offering bass pickups: https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/PUTBRCC2/PUTBRCC2
                                                                   https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/PUTBMBC2/PUTBMBC2

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2023, 05:48:23 AM »
Sweetwater is offering  the 60's Thunderbird humbucker. They claim it's the Gibson pickup

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PUTBRCC2--gibson-accessories-thunderbird-bass-reissue-pickup-chrome

I think that's the current Gibson NR pickup, not the Epiphone Probucker 760.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2023, 07:05:21 AM »
Sweetwater is offering  the 60's Thunderbird humbucker. They claim it's the Gibson pickup

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PUTBRCC2--gibson-accessories-thunderbird-bass-reissue-pickup-chrome

And also the black

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PUTBMBC2--gibson-accessories-thunderbird-bass-modern-pickup-black

Funny, just this past weekend I was looking at the Epiphone site to see what the stock string guages were for my Rumblekat, and I ended up at "The Gibson Pickups Shop" that listed T-Bird pups. Rather than "add to cart", there was "notify me when available", which looks to still be the case. Sweetwater is preorder.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2023, 03:01:46 PM »
Gibson offering any bass pickups separately is good news.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2023, 07:35:47 AM »
Is the Gibson NR pickup actually any different from the Epi pro bucker?
I wonder if they sound pretty much the same.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2023, 07:55:12 AM »

They are different.  Scott replaced the NR pickups with Probuckers.  But he'll have to describe the differences.  I've never heard either in person, though I have a set of Probuckers sitting here waiting to get put in the 2018 Thunderbird that currently has Thunderbucker 66.

Scott, if you can describe the differences between the NR and Probuckers, I'd love to also hear where you think the Thunderbucker 66 sit in with those.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2023, 08:05:39 AM »

And also the black

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PUTBMBC2--gibson-accessories-thunderbird-bass-modern-pickup-black

This is good news! I wonder if those black ones would be a drop in for my 92' LPB-1? My EB-1 is back in working shape since I found a vintage two point bridge on reverb. Would be great if these pickups could replace the microphonic TBs  in my LPB.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2023, 08:42:06 AM »

They're completly different, Gibson are way better to me, they have much more presence in the bass/lo-mids/mids and a little less treble zing. Personally, I thought my Epiphone Vintage Pro to be a rather weak chicken until I traded the 760s out with Scott for his 2021 NR Gibson pups. It's a much better bass now, though the neck is still a bit bigger than I like.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2023, 08:46:03 AM »

They're completly different, Gibson are way better to me, they have much more presence in the bass/lo-mids/mids and a little less treble zing. Personally, I thought my Epiphone Vintage Pro to be a rather weak chicken until I traded the 760s out with Scott for his 2021 NR Gibson pups. It's a much better bass now, though the neck is still a bit bigger than I like.

Any idea how those 2021 NR pickups compare in tone to the Thunderbuckers?  I had my 2018 with Thunderbuckers last night at band practice and they were perhaps TOO present.  I prefer the highs in my TB+.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2023, 10:02:31 AM »
Any idea how those 2021 NR pickups compare in tone to the Thunderbuckers?  I had my 2018 with Thunderbuckers last night at band practice and they were perhaps TOO present.  I prefer the highs in my TB+.

I have Lulls, no Thunderbuckers so it's likely a little different because they're spec'd to certain outputs, 8k neck, 9k bridge, I'd look at your EQ as well. Finally, I'm finding that I much prefer what I get out of my Trace Elliott to the GK regardless of the pickup, it will most likely go to The Bass Shop as a consignment and I'll pick up an SWR amp as a second.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2023, 10:06:05 AM »

I have Lulls, no Thunderbuckers so it's likely a little different because they're spec'd to certain outputs, 8k neck, 9k bridge, I'd look at your EQ as well. Finally, I'm finding that I much prefer what I get out of my Trace Elliott to the GK regardless of the pickup, it will most likely go to The Bass Shop as a consignment and I'll pick up an SWR amp as a second.

This was actually through the B-15 at the practice space.  It sounds much closer to the TB+ with my GK.  Funny that.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2023, 12:51:20 PM »
Has any of you guys ordered this pickup from Gibson yet?
I can't seem to buy one, since I'm not in the USA. Cannot choose a different country to determine shipping cost.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2023, 09:17:43 AM »
Has any of you guys ordered this pickup from Gibson yet?
I can't seem to buy one, since I'm not in the USA. Cannot choose a different country to determine shipping cost.

Rob, If you need one shipped to you, just let me know - Happy to!

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2023, 09:54:36 AM »
Am curious ... Are the chrome reissue pickups actually sized like vintage T-bird pickups, or are they drop-in replacement for modern birds?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy