Author Topic: 2015 tbird vs 1991  (Read 534 times)

pjm

• Proud Boy Bass Player
    • View Profile
2015 tbird vs 1991
« on: July 25, 2023, 04:20:16 PM »
I'm thinking of selling my 2015 and replacing it with a 1991 model. The 2015 is in mint condition and is really versatile with the coiltapping. The 1991 is fairly played in and has a minor headstock repair. I had a bit of a play with the '91 and the neck felt a bit thicker and felt like the body resonated nicely. Here's a link to the '91,
https://www.musicswopshop.com.au/products/gibson-thunderbird-iv?_pos=4&_sid=3906eb5dd&_ss=r
Interested in opinions.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 tbird vs 1991
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 10:48:40 PM »
What possesses you to do that, it's essentially the same bass, but the coil-tap model is rarer, has the better bridge and offers more versatile sounds that cover at least 80% of what the older model does?!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

pjm

• Proud Boy Bass Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 01:07:04 AM »
What possesses you to do that, it's essentially the same bass, but the coil-tap model is rarer, has the better bridge and offers more versatile sounds that cover at least 80% of what the older model does?!

That just might be the slap in the face I need  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 06:56:58 AM »
 ;D :mrgreen: 8)

There's nothing wrong with a 91 Rev, I love the TB Plus soapies and the three-point is an American classic. But there is nothing wrong with a 2015 Edition either, it's ever so gently modernized and as close as you can get to a "thinking man's TBird".

There is just one drawback with the Jim DeCola pups (I think that escaped them in the design): the narrow magnetic fields. If you do a lot of extreme high register note bending in Jim Lea/Jack Bruce/Geezer Butler style, you won't be happy with them as the bent note decays in volume drastically as you leave the magnetic field (same thing happens with the LP Junior Tribute's pup). That's no issue with TB Plus pups, you can drag the string off the fretboard with them and they'll still deliver. 😎

Do you bend a lot and has it bothered you so far/have you even noticed it?

I've become much more "bendy" in the winter of my bass playing so I do notice it immediately. I like to do little tricks on bass to catch attention (ever the show-off!) and this is one of them.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 07:30:07 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 11:37:28 AM »

I would definitely NOT do that!

2015 is a rare Bird, worth way more than the any run of the mill one. It may take awhile but I think they'll become a rather sought after Bird in the future.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 12:51:17 PM »

I would definitely NOT do that!

2015 is a rare Bird, worth way more than the any run of the mill one. It may take awhile but I think they'll become a rather sought after Bird in the future.

I think you're right. Gibson isn't likely to put out any like these again.

pjm

• Proud Boy Bass Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 03:53:53 PM »
I don't do any upper register bending, i have noticed the E string can get a little weak on heavy downpicking. The coil tapping is really versatile, can get a bright grindy tone.

;D :mrgreen: 8)

There's nothing wrong with a 91 Rev, I love the TB Plus soapies and the three-point is an American classic. But there is nothing wrong with a 2015 Edition either, it's ever so gently modernized and as close as you can get to a "thinking man's TBird".

There is just one drawback with the Jim DeCola pups (I think that escaped them in the design): the narrow magnetic fields. If you do a lot of extreme high register note bending in Jim Lea/Jack Bruce/Geezer Butler style, you won't be happy with them as the bent note decays in volume drastically as you leave the magnetic field (same thing happens with the LP Junior Tribute's pup). That's no issue with TB Plus pups, you can drag the string off the fretboard with them and they'll still deliver. 😎

Do you bend a lot and has it bothered you so far/have you even noticed it?

I've become much more "bendy" in the winter of my bass playing so I do notice it immediately. I like to do little tricks on bass to catch attention (ever the show-off!) and this is one of them.

pjm

• Proud Boy Bass Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023, 03:59:30 PM »
And the '91 is quite a bit cheaper than what I'd sell the 2015 for.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2023, 04:30:11 PM »
It looks like you get an ebony fretboard on the '91 which I like but that's it. I'd say keep the 2015 model.