Author Topic: NBD 81-86 Gibson Victory Standard  (Read 434 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
NBD 81-86 Gibson Victory Standard
« on: July 20, 2023, 06:37:32 AM »
  Found languishing on Reverb,  seller listed it at 1,200, then  dropped it to $849 shipped and was accepting offers I low balled it and he accepted! Has the mass of a small planet,  makes my Peavey T40 seem light. I really like the 24 fret neck, love the extended range. Pickup is focused and a bit tame certainly sounds like the 80s, my DOD bi-fet pre amp brings it to life. The bass is well played but not abused came with worn ohsc. The maple body is a bit of overkill imho, mahogany or alder would have really complimented this bass both in tone and weight.  Video soon.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: NBD 81-86 Gibson Victory Standard
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 07:24:36 AM »
Congrats, what took you so long!

The Standard's slanted pup had beefed up mids (compared to the Custom and Artist models) for a bit of Precision grit. The pup does, however, supply quite a bit of sub-lows. It goes there where a TBird just can't go.

The maho body thought occurred to Gibson eventually too - that is what Q-80 and Q-90 were (both retaining maple necks with a non-Victory headstock variations). But those didn't actually sound any better than a Victory Standard, far from it, but it might have been down to their pup combinations of either two Grabber pups (Q-80) or  P. J. Marx P/J combo), which were at best unremarkable.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 09:34:45 AM »
I saw that! Congratulations!

If they were short scaled , set necked , and weighed in under seven pounds I’d be all over the internet for one.

I love the look of them.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 02:25:35 PM »

If they were short scaled , set necked , and weighed in under seven pounds I’d be all over the internet for one.

Then they wouldn't be Victory Basses and look something like this!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 06:00:03 AM »
Congrats, Scott!

I nearly bought one about 20 years ago. Sounded great. The weight made me decide against it.