Author Topic: S1 bass in the wings  (Read 2084 times)

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
S1 bass in the wings
« on: September 14, 2008, 05:27:32 PM »
Body I have had for some time .  I got the idea from the other builders when they were dicussing the LP jr and blueshawk bass.(Thanx Doc & Barkless)  Its a  tiger maple  & mahog sandwich. I have some planin to do but I have quite a few parts.

I have a maple on maple straight paddle head that I turned into an angled headstock and shaped like my  G3  head stock( Pic later)
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: S1 bass in the wings
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 06:51:19 PM »
 That is to cool !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 07:02:45 PM »
Thanx, I was totally enamored with the blueshawk project.  I felt it needed to stand by itself  and not be copied so soon . In amongst  the posts was the idea for an S1 based bass and I remembered the body I bought several years back and never used. I had some G3 pups, bridge ...I figured what the hell

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 02:09:57 AM »
I like your approach of building Gibson basses that Gibson forgot to build (S1, Moderne)!

Keep 'm coming :thumbsup: (an L-6s maybe?)

P.S why don't you make the S1 a short scale? The bridge plus tailstop will fit better with the controlplate if they're a bit futher towards the neck IMHO.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 02:57:46 AM »
Looking good.  I love the idea of a 3 pup bass.  Very cool!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 05:25:54 AM »
Mostly because I had the paddle head neck,which is long scale. I have not drilled or routed yet so short scale is a possibility. I agree that the bridge placement would look better. I seem to prefer shorties.I still prefer my  Triumph HO to most all others. maybe due to my hand and arm surgeries , I get less   sharp cramping  in my hands and arms . This one is  gonna sit for a bit . I need to plane some bed posts this fall so Ill plane the  body when I set up my planer.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 02:34:46 PM »
I had a jam with a guy last Saturday night with an S1 Guitar. I was surprised to see it had a bolt on neck. I had a play on it for a while, man that Maple body is HEAVY! good sound though.  After playing this one I can completely understand why you would want to make a Bass out of one.
Digresion our specialty!