Author Topic: Gibson branded bass string sets from $27 at the European Demo Shop  (Read 804 times)

ilan

• View Profile
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

morrow

• View Profile
I’ve been buying the Brite rounds on my Jr since I first picked it up. Funny because I normally just put flats on basses.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
You guys and your fervent religious beliefs in string brands making much of a difference!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
You guys and your fervent religious beliefs in string brands making much of a difference!

Sometimes the difference isn't great, but I can usually hear differences with rounds, and almost always with flats.

morrow

• View Profile
I really loved the sound and feel of the stock strings , only made sense to buy more. Although I slightly goofed when I ordered the last two sets and got the slightly heavier sets.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Sometimes the difference isn't great, but I can usually hear differences with rounds, and almost always with flats.

Je suis with you, they all sound a little different in coloring, but is it a matter of better or worse? And do you hear it once the drummer and the rest of the band kicks in?

It's been ages (40 years) since I've had any brand of strings where I would have said, ugh, this is junk.

ilan

• View Profile
It's been ages (40 years) since I've had any brand of strings where I would have said, ugh, this is junk.

Oh man, you should try one of thse Ali Express basses. You wouldn't believe the crappy strings they come with.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Oh man, you should try one of thse Ali Express basses. You wouldn't believe the crappy strings they come with.

Even worse than the Black Diamond strings you could buy at almost any American drugstore back in the 60s? Super cheap, super nasty. That was before I bought my first bass, but the guitar strings were so bad, the bass strings couldn't have been any better.

I had to laugh when the brand name was revived about 20 years ago as a "premium" string.

ilan

• View Profile
I'll see your Black Diamonds and raise you the Soviet block strings my bass teacher brought with him from Romania in 1975. There were two gauges: the thick ones were for E and A and the thinner ones for use as D or G.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Life behind the Iron Curtain was hard. Complain about bass string gauges, get sent to a gulag.

Reminds me of Yakov Smirnoff talking about being a comedian in Russia. If you tell the audience "take my wife, please," when you get home, she's gone.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson branded bass string sets from $27 at the European Demo Shop
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2023, 03:37:59 AM »
I then restrict my statement to “capitalist-produced ones in more recent decades”, satisfied?!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson branded bass string sets from $27 at the European Demo Shop
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 09:04:18 PM »
I then restrict my statement to “capitalist-produced ones in more recent decades”, satisfied?!

What a country!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile