Author Topic: The Cold Blue B-17 Documentary  (Read 363 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
The Cold Blue B-17 Documentary
« on: March 21, 2023, 08:24:30 AM »

Frank and I watched this last night, it's very good. The footage was originally shot in color during 1943 as a team of cinematographers were documenting the Memphis Belle's completion of 25 missions. A lot of that footage was used to make the wartime film that most folks know about, this documentary is all the footage that was not used for that film. It's very human, with lots of film of people, the ground crews and the young men that flew along with much footage of B-17s as well. I'd also note that the sound track was very complimentary, beautiful violin, acoustic guitar and harmonica.
Highly recommended if you like B-17s. 

There's trailers on the IMDB page

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8693770/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cold_Blue
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: The Cold Blue B-17 Documentary
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 09:53:56 AM »
Wow, hopefully I can see that on Amazon Prime Streaming in Germany. The plane (and the men) that liberated Europe from the Nazi scourge.

When I lived in Zaire, my dad had a GM colleague he was friends with called Bill McCarthy (his wife's name was Dolores, his son's Paul, he was a little older than me, and had Pat as his baby sis, all of them from the Detroit area of course) who had been a crew member in a USAAF B-17 in WWII with sorties over Germany. It sure wasn't his immediate talking point, but he wasn't traumatized either, he would tell if you asked. And I did (Paul didn't care, he was busy smoking pot and being cool 8) ). Understandably not much longing to be back in the turret though.

Alas!, the benefits of the internet and at the instigation of this thread, I just found Dolores

https://molnarfuneralhome.com/tribute/details/20712/Dolores-McCarthy/obituary.html

who sadly passed away last year, I think I would have still recognized her. She was a passionate swimmer (taught my little brother Olaf to swim at age of six) and loved her dogs. RIP
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 10:56:18 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: The Cold Blue B-17 Documentary
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 11:15:10 AM »

It's on HBO but we don't have that, so we bought the disc, it's worth it.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...