Author Topic: Maneskin  (Read 1666 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Maneskin
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 10:31:09 PM »
If Lizzo saves just one girl in this world from starving herself to death, she's alright by me.

And she sings German too!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2N79T49mVwQ

Her recent tour in Germany was lauded by the media.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2023, 12:25:14 AM »
Not to be misunderstood, I don't judge Maneskin for their RHCP influence (it's the music they grew up with) just as I don't judge Greta Van Fleet for having perhaps listened to one Led Zep album from their older brothers too many.

Bands like that keep rock alive. In this decade, we're gonna see the majority of our musical heroes enter the eternal backstage grounds. I'm still waiting for a young Deep Purple though, you sure don't see a lot of 20-year old Hammond players these days.

Maybe DeWolff gets your approval?

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2023, 01:35:37 AM »
DeWolff is great. I think my band did around 13 support shows for them: always great!

Maneskin isn't entirely my taste. However I really enjoyed the concert and the bass, I haven't put any music on at home since. No Maneskin music, that is. But if one percent of the girls at the concert picks up the bass, that's 175 basses sold, 175 hours per week of bass lessons. Some subscribers for my magazine maybe:)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2023, 07:45:13 AM »
DeWolff is great. I think my band did around 13 support shows for them: always great!

Maneskin isn't entirely my taste. However I really enjoyed the concert and the bass, I haven't put any music on at home since. No Maneskin music, that is. But if one percent of the girls at the concert picks up the bass, that's 175 basses sold, 175 hours per week of bass lessons. Some subscribers for my magazine maybe:)

When it comes to Italian rock bands, the ones I like the most are Lacuna Coil, Volturian, and Frozen Crown.  I'll have to say I've never listened to Maneskin very much.  I think my introduction to them was a You Tube video which appeared out of nowhere a few years ago.  I didn't even realize You Tube could show something like that.  It was the band playing live at a concert--just one song, not the whole concert.  But the bassist wasn't wearing tape.  She was completely topless.  It's kind of hard not to notice something like that, or to forget it. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2023, 09:26:16 AM »
Of course that is the true reason why Chris is so enamored by Victoria!
Anything with t*ts and a bass guitar gets the stamp of approval.  :popcorn:
 :mrgreen:

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2023, 11:36:28 AM »

For sure!

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2023, 02:20:49 PM »
My wife has a couple of Maneskin LPs. She is part Italian so likes them for that.

I think they sound pretty good. There is just something a bit too contrived and performative about them? You know that lead singer's Nonna still thinks he's a dear sweet piccolo bambino! I reckon it has something to do with overcoming such a socially conservative background, perhaps.

The Danelectro sounds good on the albums. It had that inherent ringing sound, but seems to work with blended distortions really well. The way it is locked into the drums at times sounds like a hip hop influence in terms of production values.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2023, 02:57:16 PM »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2023, 02:14:39 AM »
A good one! I don't really care about the music. It's just good young kids see a real band, maybe start playing and maybe grow further into better bands. You have to start somewhere.

A fun story, but maybe difficult to understand for people outside The Netherlands, but you'll get it when I reach Robbie Williams and Justin Bieber. We had a band here in the eighties called Doe Maar. White guys, not that young, nor pretty, playing ska songs with Dutch lyrics about the A Bomb, smoking pot, etc. Serious guys, but it was like Beatlemania. Screaming girls only, and after some years it was too much for the band. Still every year, Dutch teenagers discover The Doors, Bob Marley, and Doe Maar. The lead singer and bass player Henny Vrienten became a serious pop guy, a movie composer, he is regarded as the Dutch Paul McCartney, and he sadly died last year.

When Doe Maar played the biggest Dutch rock festival Pinkpop in the eighties it was a bit of a controversy. Serious music lovers hated that boy band being on their festival. So they got boo'd, things thrown at them, the lot. Some 30 years later, they played Pinkpop again and now of course they were national heritage, all pop snobs and purists loved it.

Same happened years later with Robbie Williams. Fruit and eggs were thrown at him (He kicked some fruit out of the air with a flying kick! Awesome) and all the haters went to see his stadium concerts later and he became a serious musician.

Some years after that Bieber played Pinkpop. And again a contorversy. When I reminded people to Doe Maar and Robbie Williams, they wouldn't listen.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2023, 10:39:09 AM »

For sure!

Waitaminnit, didn't you just say you like ass and legs? I hate it when you are er ... ratic like that.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2023, 10:39:33 AM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2023, 10:43:34 AM »
Maybe DeWolff gets your approval?

They do! Now that is nice wholesome music for young people to play! Their parents should be proud.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2023, 11:12:29 AM »
Man, when I think "Night Train" I think of this classic tune, and I found a great TV version by Louis Prima!!  (With his wife Keely Smith playing deadpan...) 

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2023, 06:27:24 PM »
This article oughta be fun - just opinion  :sad:  https://pitchfork.com/features/podcast/maneskin-are-what-happens-when-rock-goes-wrong/

What a bunch of sourpusses those reviewers are. I don’t see anything wrong with Måneskin, they are young, overconfident and full of piss & vinegar. And dismantle everything from the commemorative wall of rock for their own use they can get their tomato sauce-soaked hands on. What’s not to like?! It’s how a young band should be. And for the music-loving abandon Victoria plays her bass grooves with, she can fling around her tits 24/7 with me, she’s projecting female sexuality in a playful way. The whole band is a sight.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2023, 09:36:13 PM »
Nasty old man.

Not as nasty as Lizzo. She's wealthy yet she claims to be oppressed because she's black and a woman. And she doesn't believe that her excess weight is bad. Give me a break.  :rolleyes: