Author Topic: Sandberg short scale - Gibson-esque  (Read 1745 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Sandberg short scale - Gibson-esque
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2023, 08:25:23 PM »
The body shape reminds me of the Rickenbacker 2030

When you posted this, I couldn't put my finger on what was different, why I thought the Sandberg looks more stylish. Now that Sandberg has a straight-on view on its website, you can tell: the lower bouts aren't symmetrical on the Sandberg. It's subtle but it makes a difference.

Florence Bass

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2023, 01:55:06 AM »
I got one at home for a review and here's my conclusion in short.

It's available with maple or rosewood board and with an alder or mahogany body. I got the rosewood/alder here.

First: It looks a bit Gibson doublecut (and Rick 3000) but it isn't Gibson sounding at all. With a bolt on maple neck it will always be more Fender than Gibson. The body is light and it has a narrow neck, like most Mustangs (the JMJ and some others have fatter necks, but it's more J-ish), so it's veru comfortable to play. Like the DC Jr. the pickup is easy usable as thumbrest.

It has a push/pull. In the normal setting it's more like a good Mustang. Sanberg even claims in a document which goes with the bass, it has a split-P sound. When you use the P/P the full humbucker kicks in. You lose a bit of top end, but you gain a lot of low warmth. Very nice for three piece rockbands. It sounds big, the high on the board runs sound very fat and I like it. No Gibson fatness and sweetness but a ballsy Fender.
I once reviewed the pawnshop Wide Range Humbucker competion Mustang, that was many moons ago, but I remember a similar sound.

The bass is very well made with Sandberg's own tuners, control knobs and bridge, it has a light aging and all looks very well. Any complaints? No. I would like to try the mahogany bodied one too, but I think the maple neck makes more difference. I like the tone of this rosewood board one.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 04:51:55 AM by Chris P. »

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2023, 04:10:42 AM »
I thought it had a bolt on neck.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2023, 04:52:38 AM »
Oops, it has and I changed it. I wanted to say it has no set neck.... so bolt on and maple, so much more Fender than Gibson