Author Topic: Fender GoldFoil  (Read 1392 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Fender GoldFoil
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2023, 02:00:22 PM »
Lobster has gone up in my estimations! He properly gets the boot into that bass. I don't think Trogly has ever been this analytically critical of an instrument.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2023, 11:33:04 PM »
I wouldn't pay $1300 for it even if the QC was perfect. The bad bridge placement is inexcusable.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2023, 08:20:43 AM »
  It seems the Lobster got a bad one and he's not the only one. It's unfortunate because it's a really cool bass, not for everyone but it is it's own cool unique thing and I personally dig it. Let's hope Fender gets it's shit together. The one I tried had none of the issues the Lobster's had.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2023, 10:37:50 AM »
  It seems the Lobster got a bad one and he's not the only one. It's unfortunate because it's a really cool bass, not for everyone but it is it's own cool unique thing and I personally dig it. Let's hope Fender gets it's shit together. The one I tried had none of the issues the Lobster's had.

I really dig it.  Offering it in seafoam green would make it even more tempting.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2023, 11:17:07 AM »
Yeah I quite like the sound except for the pathetic E string.  That bridge problem is really bad.

Not sure how special the foil thing sounds.... it sounds like any decent single coil in the mid position to me, ie it's totally fine, I like it, but how different/better is it compared to a 51 P / tele style instrument ?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2023, 04:07:38 PM »
Yeah I quite like the sound except for the pathetic E string.  That bridge problem is really bad.

Not sure how special the foil thing sounds.... it sounds like any decent single coil in the mid position to me, ie it's totally fine, I like it, but how different/better is it compared to a 51 P / tele style instrument ?

I would expect it to sound quite different. The SCPB has its own thing going. Maybe someone will make a comparison video.