Author Topic: No worries, liebe Ricsters - they like it ...  (Read 2506 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: No worries, liebe Ricsters - they like it ...
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2023, 04:21:26 PM »
Bass players like that have always existed: Even if they play something rock'ish, it just never sounds like they mean it. You need to have grown up with this stuff. OTOH, I have played with lounge oriented and funky bands and heard things said to me like: "You play really well, but every note you play cries out "RAAAAAWK!!!!"" And they were completely right, I can't help it.  :mrgreen:

Even rock by so called second tier rockers (like Def Leppard) sounds pretty good to me.  There is a sincerity to the playing of true rockers and it's like second nature when the music comes out.  On the other hand, I have a friend who is a great musician and can play about any instrument.  But no matter what he tries to play, everything comes out as country.  He is proud of it since country is his preferred genre.  I can't play country worth crap, though, no matter how hard I try. 

« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 06:03:33 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2023, 06:49:39 AM »
I could never do a decent groovy and smooth C&W two-step bass - the kind of thing Randy Meisner does so well on Lyin' Eyes for example. I just never played that type of music often and long enough for it to become second nature to me. Whenever I attempt it, people think I'm taking the piss and then ask: "Ok Uwe, that's very funny, but what are you really going to play?"

I like the Leps but their version of the David Essex classic was a bit tame and curiously lifeless (always something the Leps have to watch to avoid).

« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 07:45:46 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2023, 07:11:02 AM »
Planting a two step is a unique feel , they’re big notes , and placement and duration have to be decisive , and felt.

For sheer bass fun there’s nothing quite like driving a bluegrass band with an upright.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2023, 07:25:01 AM »
Yeah, that really describes it well.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2023, 10:52:51 AM »
I could never do a decent groovy and smooth C&W two-step bass - the kind of thing Randy Meisner does so well on Lyin' Eyes for example. I just never played that type of music often and long enough for it to become second nature to me. Whenever I attempt it, people think I'm taking the piss and then ask: "Ok Uwe, that's very funny, but what are you really going to play?"

I like the Leps but their version of the David Essex classic was a bit tame and curiously lifeless (always something the Leps have to watch to avoid).

The David Essex version is better, but I chose the DL version only because it sounds a little fresher compared to the other version which I've heard so many times through the years. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2023, 09:03:21 AM »
Holger Czukay wore gloves to play bass before it was cool.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2023, 06:13:06 AM »
He probably had an allergic reaction since he needed it on both hands.

Or did he want to achieve a different, deader tone with it?

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2023, 02:07:07 PM »
He has a light, fluffy bass tone in the video so I guess it was for timbre. Jaki Liebezeit wanted less and less Holger bass in the mix over time! This maybe helped.