Author Topic: The DC Jr is no longer in production.  (Read 1848 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: The DC Jr is no longer in production.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2022, 05:24:06 AM »
Those little Gretsch basses have quite the following. The Nordstrand  Acinonyx has one too. As do the G&L Fallout these days.
There’s more short scale offerings than ever before.
I’m a big Dano fan , I’m not quite sure just how that came about , but I’m ok with it,

I noticed how popular the G&L Fallout basses were getting, but with my neck problems I usually avoid basses that heavy.  But it looks like they probably do have something to offer for some people out there, especially for those tired of all the cheap short scale entry level basses that are out there.  I never played a Fallout, but seriously doubt if I would like it as much as my DC Jr.  BTW, I like Danos, too, but rarely play them and only have that latest version of the Hodad which came out several years ago and then was discontinued. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2022, 08:51:56 AM »
He mentions the growl that the bass can get under the right conditions.  I agree.  That's one of the most appealing things to me about the DC Jr. 

Does it really have a maple neck? He says so (nice, unpretentious guy btw). I was under the impression mine had a maho one, but it's in the rehearsal room right now, so I can't check.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2022, 09:18:33 AM »
I think the neck is maple.  The body is mahogany. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2022, 05:36:21 PM »
If Reverb's best seller list of 2022 is at all representative, then yes, Mustangs sell very well.
https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2022/11/10/reverb-releases-list-of-best-selling-basses-of-2022/

The $800 USD mustang model tied for #3, pretty impressive.

No Gibsons or Epiphones made the top 20 at all. I guess we really are a cult of weirdos on this forum!

I don't know all these instruments and didn't bother to google them, but the other shorties I noticed on the list were mostly low budget models, some at the lowest entry level - not surprising, a $200 shortie is a good starter for a kid with small hands just starting out.  For example the Squier Bronco and Ibanez Gio Mikro.

The Gretsch Junior Jet that tied for #3 isn't bottom of the barrel at $299 but it definitely qualifies as inexpensive.
I was surprised to see it that high up the list.

Also noticed the Hofner Ignition Pro Violin Bass ... all these decades later, the "Beatle bass" still has appeal I guess!

The Mustangs and Broncos are quite pleasant to play.  Decent balance, lighter weight than the longer scale basses, with good sound.  The inexpensive Bronco is a favorite platform for pickup mods, me included.  I have a Gretsch 2202 pickup in a Bronco and it's an inexpensive but very gig-worthy combination.

The Gretsch Junior Jet surprises me too, but it's a great value and is very much like the Broncos and Mustangs in terms of scale and balance with good sound.

I have a sneaking hunch that as many of us Boomers age we're moving to short scales, which boots sales figures for those models.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2022, 05:38:02 PM »
I think the neck is maple.  The body is mahogany.

Correct. I guess that it was a bass nod to Tribute series which all sport maple necks.

I returned mine due to a major QC flaw and wasn't at all smitten by it otherwise, but I'm sad to see the model discontinued nevertheless. Quite a few people loved theirs, and I've got just about enough Gibson basses to play anyway...
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2022, 07:48:30 AM »
I never gave whether the neck is maple or not a thought. I simply assumed it was maho. But the maple explains a lot why the bass sounds IMHO better/different than both the original EB-0 double cut and the two-pup Doublecut reissue some 10 year ago. It has really added something.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2022, 10:16:36 AM »
I usually carry both the Les Paul and a Mustang to a gig.  I love them both.

I did replace the Les Paul pickup with a passive EMG T-Bird pickup.  It seems more assertive now (in the mix).

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2022, 11:56:31 PM »
I never gave whether the neck is maple or not a thought. I simply assumed it was maho. But the maple explains a lot why the bass sounds IMHO better/different than both the original EB-0 double cut and the two-pup Doublecut reissue some 10 year ago. It has really added something.

It also explains why, to be honest, the LP Jr. Tribute probably sounds a little better than the SG Standard.  Yet it is almost a 2K bass now, once you pay all the taxes.  The LP Jr. was a lot less, obviously.  People were getting a good deal on that bass, IMO.  There may be an incongruity in that I have an SG as an avatar.  But if I'm ever in public (and I'm not sure if I ever will be again) I usually have to have an SG. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2022, 12:05:22 AM »

The different (DeCola) pickup might also explain a lot of the difference in tone.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2022, 12:06:50 AM »
The different (DeCola) pickup might also explain a lot of the difference in tone.

I guess it could be a combination of things.  That's interesting to me. 

--Blaise Pascal

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2022, 05:49:44 AM »
I think it’s mostly the placement. I’ve read how some have replaced the pickup and found an improvement.

I think anybody’s ears expect an improvement after replacing the pickup. Whether it’s there or not.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2022, 06:27:19 AM »
Of course, it's all those things you guys have mentioned.

I did some recording with it straight into the board without any tinkering and was surprised how good and vibrant it sounded.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2022, 09:02:15 AM »
It was the cheapest thing they offered, now many are put off at the price tag of most Gibsons. And even at that price point some feel it was overpriced. The “Made in America” mystique has been taking a beating with the arrival of offshore imports that are well built and a fraction of the price. When I put all that baggage aside and just played the Jr it simply hit a lot of buttons for me. It felt really good and I really enjoyed playing it , and it sounded good. Real good. In many ways is responded like a mini Pbass. And I liked the weight and size. To this day it is one of my favourite things to pick up and play. I love the simplicity of a single pickup , and only two knobs to fiddle with.Perfect!

Heck , I’d even pay a bit more for a better finish.

I hope Gibson will realize that the Jr had a nice little niche. I’d love to see it as a high end Epiphone (please do not put a bolt on neck on that) or even return with a better finish. I’d love to see it remain in the line.

I do know it’s not bloody likely. 

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2022, 07:58:44 AM »
It was the cheapest thing they offered, now many are put off at the price tag of most Gibsons. And even at that price point some feel it was overpriced. The “Made in America” mystique has been taking a beating with the arrival of offshore imports that are well built and a fraction of the price. When I put all that baggage aside and just played the Jr it simply hit a lot of buttons for me. It felt really good and I really enjoyed playing it , and it sounded good. Real good. In many ways is responded like a mini Pbass. And I liked the weight and size. To this day it is one of my favourite things to pick up and play. I love the simplicity of a single pickup , and only two knobs to fiddle with.Perfect!

Heck , I’d even pay a bit more for a better finish.

I hope Gibson will realize that the Jr had a nice little niche. I’d love to see it as a high end Epiphone (please do not put a bolt on neck on that) or even return with a better finish. I’d love to see it remain in the line.

I do know it’s not bloody likely.

This is a very good description of the bass.  Only someone who has spent some quality time with the LP DC Jr.  would be able to make these observations.  And anyone who hasn't may not see exactly what is being said when you praise such things as simplicity and a bass having only one pickup.  The minimalism is a plus and the fact that the bass delivers a punch is even more of a plus.  I wouldn't look at ''made in America" as a mystique, though.  Through the years some American companies really have established a reputation for making good guitars and basses.  As a typical American, I've spent much of my life buying various goods made in other countries.  If something I buy is very good, and it's made here, too, that's more lagniappe than mystique for me. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 11:01:15 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2022, 09:02:43 AM »
Frankly, I don't give a rat's ass where something is made as long as it is well-made. I don't mind paying more for better quality and if that means production in a higher-income market then I'm fine with that, but the two are not always connected.

Japanese and Indian Whiskeys taste great. And I've never held an Ibanez bass in my hands that wasn't made well, even when they were still copying. Even though it's currently falling out of fashion, I'm still a globalist in the sense that I don't attach quality automatically to nationality. I've never bought a German car in my life, my cars were Swedish and are now Chinese (Volvo) and if you want to know something: Ever since they went Chinese, their quality rose.

The Junior will return in some shape or form, don't worry. Gibson works in cycles. They even had the knack of producing a long scale model that wasn't neck-heavy (!), but for whatever reason that remained in the vaults as a prototype (I have one) and they went for single cut in the 90ies Les Paul series (which never did so great though they were fine basses).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 09:12:57 AM by uwe »