Author Topic: T-I Jazz Flats  (Read 1252 times)

Rob

• View Profile
Re: T-I Jazz Flats
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2022, 11:32:40 AM »
That's interesting.

I put the Labella low tensions on one of my short scale basses and really couldn't tell any difference compared to the Labella 760FL light gauge flats that I normally use.  At least they're less expensive than the TIs.
Agree!  I bought the TI's initially thinking they would resolve any tension problems on my old P bass (like yours).
I do like the textured sound they deem to bring but the Labella's do it too.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2022, 11:15:02 PM »
I tried the low tension Labellas and thought they sounded quite different from the regular Labellas. Didn't care for the tone.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2022, 01:39:16 AM »
I tried the low tension Labellas and thought they sounded quite different from the regular Labellas. Didn't care for the tone.

I have medium scale LaBella LTF's on almost all my Höfners. Too bright when new but once they're broken in I like them. They're not easy to find in medium scale so when I do find a dealer that stocks them I get a couple extra sets.

For long scale flats, as some of you know, I'm a big fan of Ernie Ball Group IV (NOT the Slinky flats!). I switched to EB after years of TI JF's. The .040 set is a little stiffer than TI's, and has better tone and feel for my taste. And they cost about half of TI's.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2022, 07:47:15 AM »
I use the Group III. Great flats and moderately priced. But I still like rounds more.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2022, 12:31:34 AM »
I use the Group III. Great flats and moderately priced. But I still like rounds more.

For me it's rounds on the Jazz, Rics, Yamaha, and EB-0L; and flats on the P's and hollowbody Höfners.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023