Author Topic: Scott of Thunder, have you ordered yet?  (Read 3238 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Scott of Thunder, have you ordered yet?
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2022, 03:08:29 PM »

Re Dave Hill: His sartorial elegance and timeless high bangs cut hid what a tasteful lead guitarist he was. His solos were always just perfect for Slade, often picking up a previous vocal melody but then turning it around. He was a master of holding back and actually very controlled playing, much in contrast to his outrageous stage demeanor.

Are the Nasty Habits back in action, Fräulein Rommel?

After a long hiatus, yes - we have been rehearsing with a new drummer (he's from Argentina) and guitarist - I have a couple of singers to audition starting this Sunday. - Yay! 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2022, 04:49:18 PM »
That's good to hear - long live the queen!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2022, 05:29:13 PM »
That's good to hear - long live the queen!

Gotta play this one out live again!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2022, 09:17:04 PM »
Well coordinated.  The difference between blue and purple is very darn small!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2022, 06:23:40 AM »
No it's not, you 'I only register primary colors'-cisgender male mole! :mrgreen:

I have sometimes issues describing something as purple, violet or lilac. Even Deep Purple weren't always sure whether they weren't Deep Lilac or Deep Violet, the inconsistency has always bugged me no end.

The issue is confounded in German because we translate "purple" as all kinds of varying violet'ish shades ...

The German term "purpur" does ironically not correspond with the english term "purple" - the color us Krauts envisage as "purpur" is closer to a shade you guys would assure us is red-violet.

But there is a scientific explanation for the difficulty in discerning those shades: What we describe as purple, violet or lilac are color shades not really mirrored in the visible light spectrum, they are mostly solely a creation of our eyes and brain and cannot be simply attributed to a specific nanometer wavelength. Rather, these color shades stimulate both our photoreceptors for red and those other photoreceptors for blue at the same time - everything else happens in our brains.

Too add to the confusion there is also a true spectral color called violet:

Relationship of purple to violet

This CIE chromaticity diagram highlights the line of purples at its base, running from the violet corner near the left to the red corner at the right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple#/media/File:Line_of_purples.png

Purple is closely associated with violet. In common usage, both refer to a variety of colors between blue and red in hue. Historically, purple has tended to be used for redder hues and violet for bluer hues. In optics, violet is a spectral color: It refers to the color of any different single wavelength of light on the short wavelength end of the visible spectrum, between approximately 380 and 450 nanometers, whereas purple is the color of various combinations of red, blue, and violet light, some of which humans perceive as similar to violet.

But then a guy working for a joint called Seattle Lighting should really know (t)his stuff, I'm sure (s)he'll explain.  ;D

THE LAST BASS OUTPOST - WHERE SCIENCE STILL COUNTS ...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 10:21:53 AM by uwe »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2022, 11:27:48 AM »
No it's not, you 'I only register primary colors'-cisgender male mole! :mrgreen:

HEY!  I resemble that remark!

And I sold a perfectly good Midnight Blue J-bass (that I liked) because I kept getting grief about playing a purple bass, which I cannot do either by inclination or loyalty to my Alma Mater.  (Mark understands this, but he's on the west side of the state and gets a pass on purple due to his overall coolness.)  The "other" university in the state has purple and gold colors, and therefore I and many other alumni will not own a purple object.

Fortunately, a very nice young lady bought that Midnight Blue Jazz, and was very taken with it.  I was glad to get rid of the harassment, not so glad to get rid of the bass.  But Midnight Blue, although definitely blue, looks purple under lights of certain color temperatures.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2022, 01:19:11 PM »

I have sometimes issues describing something as purple, violet or lilac. Even Deep Purple weren't always sure whether they weren't Deep Lilac or Deep Violet, the inconsistency has always bugged me no end.

The issue is confounded in German because we translate "purple" as all kinds of varying violet'ish shades ...

The German term "purpur" does ironically not correspond with the english term "purple" - the color us Krauts envisage as "purpur" is closer to a shade you guys would assure us is red-violet.

But there is a scientific explanation for the difficulty in discerning those shades: What we describe as purple, violet or lilac are color shades not really mirrored in the visible light spectrum, they are mostly solely a creation of our eyes and brain and cannot be simply attributed to a specific nanometer wavelength. Rather, these color shades stimulate both our photoreceptors for red and those other photoreceptors for blue at the same time - everything else happens in our brains.

Too add to the confusion there is also a true spectral color called violet:

Relationship of purple to violet

This CIE chromaticity diagram highlights the line of purples at its base, running from the violet corner near the left to the red corner at the right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple#/media/File:Line_of_purples.png

Purple is closely associated with violet. In common usage, both refer to a variety of colors between blue and red in hue. Historically, purple has tended to be used for redder hues and violet for bluer hues. In optics, violet is a spectral color: It refers to the color of any different single wavelength of light on the short wavelength end of the visible spectrum, between approximately 380 and 450 nanometers, whereas purple is the color of various combinations of red, blue, and violet light, some of which humans perceive as similar to violet.

But then a guy working for a joint called Seattle Lighting should really know (t)his stuff, I'm sure (s)he'll explain.  ;D

THE LAST BASS OUTPOST - WHERE SCIENCE STILL COUNTS ...

Honestly, I learned this stuff once in design school and then again after starting at Seattle Lighting while studying for my American Lighting Association cert., I'm not a very technical person but somehow this "stuck" with me reasonably well. I like purple and the Autumnal palette a lot, works with my skin color - pastels not so much!

October and I'm enjoying a lot of Schnitzel............"The call of home is loud" to quote Slade.

Bird Ho!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2022, 03:14:47 PM »
A Schnitzel diet for that ultimate mini skirt body - now we know!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2022, 04:42:43 PM »
A Schnitzel diet for that ultimate mini skirt body - now we know!

If you have it without the mushroom gravy there's less calories dammit! 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2022, 04:52:21 PM »
And I thought Jägerschnitzel was already outlawed on the West Coast!

Good for 40 liters of mushroom gravy!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2022, 05:27:20 PM »
WHAT?  NO GRAVY? 

From a classic Warner Bros. cartoon....

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2022, 06:21:56 AM »
Oozy-viscosy brown gravy with fat bubbles innit, yummy!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2022, 09:32:05 AM »
My first Slade gig around 1978/79 or so will always be etched in my memory for the only gig I ever witnessed where the music was so loud, a guy standing beside me by the bass bins of the outsize PA (they were playing a club, yet had a PA in there large enough for a mid-size hall, parts of it reached up to the ceiling of the place) caught nosebleed!

I had much the same experience (minus the bloody nose), and since the show was my first of any kind, it stuck with me to this day. The Hiwatts likely had much to do with this, since I was close enough to be absorbing their stage volume. I'm sure I've posted these here before, but in this thread they bear repetition...

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2022, 06:40:26 PM »
^^^^^
Nice pics. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2022, 04:20:41 AM »
You never posted any of this!!! What else have you been hiding? These are historical artefacts! As always, Jim tried hard to dress as a "serious musician", but Dave Hill contravened with usual aplomb!  :mrgreen:

Happily, after a short derailment from Deep Purple to brown gravy - how did we get there? - we're back on track.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 04:27:47 AM by uwe »