Author Topic: A Natural finish P-bass, the late Maurice Gibb and a really funky groove.  (Read 3110 times)

Blazer

Bee Gees - "Jive Talkin' "

Maurice Gibb was a better bassplayer than people gave him credit for.

nofi

Re: A Natural finish P-bass, the late Maurice Gibb and a really funky groove.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 10:33:35 AM »
i imagine it would be pretty difficult to overpower the bee gee pop machine with any standout instrumental talent, especially on bass. their fan's interests were focused on the vocals and the show. imo

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 08:20:14 AM »
I'd never listened to that number carefully - the bass does indeed do a nice job of driving the number...nicely done.

And good sound from a good old passive Precision.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 04:10:26 PM »
I used to hate the Bee Gees but after college I discovered my mom's old vinyl copy of Saturday Night Fever and was blown away! I drove at least two girlfriends crazy listening to my tape of that album over and over in the car.

Cool effect on the bass in the video, though the video effect of the horns turned sideways were stupid. Being a prog fan as well, I couldn't not love a song with a 7/4 synth break!

Blazer

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 05:10:34 PM »
Part of the bassline in this clip is being doubled on a Moog, that's the effect you hear.

And now listen to THIS Maurice Gibb played Bassline...

I love that fat sound he got on this recording, he probably played with flatwound strings, resulting in that "Thud"

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 11:42:30 PM »
I've probably heard this song hundreds of times but only now I'm listening to the bass sound and I have to admit, it sounds great.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023