Author Topic: Manowar, what's the problem people have with them?  (Read 7197 times)

Blazer

Manowar, what's the problem people have with them?
« on: September 11, 2008, 09:04:22 AM »
Okay I'll be frank, I'm a metalman, I play in a metal band and attend metal concerts. And I love to share my love on forums like this and see that others share my passion.

But there's one band that everybody seems to agree on that sucks and I never understood why. That band is Manowar, for some reason or another people all turn away in disgust with just the mention of the name of this band.

I wonder why that is, they have an awesome show, really good sing-along metal anthems and they should be right there with bands like Iron Maiden and judas priest as the grandmasters of metal but for some reason everybody tends to think otherwise, what am I missing here? Why is it that way?

"warriors of the world united" live.
You have to admit that this is a kick ass song.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Manowar, what's the problem people have with them?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:25:40 AM »
I've always liked them, even if they were a little bit over the edge.  Blow Your Speakers!
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 10:19:22 AM »
I like "Sting of the Bumblebee"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWwpj5UJYXc&feature=related

I think the bodybuilder image made it look to outsiders like they took themselves too seriously?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 10:38:50 AM »
They're fine as musicians though their operatic melodic metal sounds pedestrian to me, I played their last album to my 14 year old son and he said: This sounds like the metal version of a Disney musical.

Manowar are embarrassing in a way that they shoot their mouths off and then back down. Back in the eighties there was some conflict between them and Twisted Sister and Dee Snider asked DeMaio for a fight. Which Manowar refused to do. Which is ok if they had said: "Grown men don't fight about this." But they weren't brave enough for that. Instead they had Ross the Boss (their former guitarist) write letters to his former Dictators bandmate Marco Mendoza  (TS bassist, not the Whitesnake/Ted Nugent sidekick with the same name) that please, please would Snider stop goading them as they could not afford to back down "before their fans" or apologize for whatever grievance Snider felt. Grown men can apologize too. You can even do it in a loincloth.

Manowar are hypocrites. They mouth off about how Kiss and Judas Priest only use a tiny portion of their backline (the rest just for show) and then Joey plays a "bass" solo on a Ric clone that uses guitar strings (tuned down), has an action "on the other side of the neck" and only half the width of a regular bass fretboard. And Flight of the Bumblebee isn't even accurately (or nicely) played. He's been doing it for more than 20 years now, someone teach him a new trick or tell him to do it on a real bass. Real men play real basses, Joey. Not downtuned guitars that are souped up via amplification.

Manowar aren't Iron Maiden, they lack that prog aspect to their music. And they aren't Judas Priest because they pretend to believe what they're doing where Judas Priest play their music with a twinkle in their eye (and some elegance).

That said: I like their presumptuous over the top version of Puccini's Nessun Dorma on their penultimate album.

Death to false metal, yeah right.

Uwe

PS: What I credit them for is that they are not Ted Nugent who at a recent gig in California cracked jokes about how Rodney King should feel "lucky" the cops didn't shoot him; with largely black bouncers standing by to protect his sorry little white ass.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 10:52:02 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

nofi

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 10:45:42 AM »
they just look silly. that may be the problem people have with them. i think the viking look is long gone. ???

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 11:24:59 AM »
I always thought Manowar is a sorry bunch of macho dwarfs with a fascistoid tendency to glorify war.
They lack all sense of humor (and intelligence) while on the other hand unintentionally being a hilarious parody on themselves... :mrgreen:

Musically they're not half as good as they always boast they are.  Uwe just said it very aptly.
I remember their drummer being very proud of his new all metal drumkit (drums of doom?). And it just sounded like shit.

In other words; look at this picture. It says enough...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 12:08:24 PM »
Basvarken and Uwe pretty much covered it. Well said guys!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 01:00:20 PM »
I dunno - they have obviously influenced a generation...

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 01:33:49 PM »
 EEeewwwww............this is that "other" bad kind of Gay! not the  :gay: like me    ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:09:14 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 02:04:05 PM »
I know nothing about Manowar or 98% of other metal bands, but if that plodding song is any indication, they sure don't know how to rock. Which doesn't surprise me.

Dee Snider called their bluff? Too funny!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 02:05:54 PM »
EEeewwwww............this that "other" bad kind of Gay! not the  :gay: like me    ;)

You mean, kind of like the Billy Squier "video that killed a career" gay?
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 02:40:08 PM »

A valid point Sir!

I think it was a whole different thing. mostly lame! Too bad too, I like Billy Squier - saw him him back in the day opening for Par Benatar.  Both bands were great that night esp. Billy's drummer at the time and Pat's second guitarist Scott St.Clair Sheets............Yeah, that was a Bad Video  :-[ 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »
Which Billy Squeer, errm Squier are we talking about?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 06:28:01 PM »
hehehe  :)  I was about to differentiate between the kinds of gay but luckily decided to finish reading the thread before making a comment.

I work with 3/4 Gay guys. Big gay Phil is a top bloke, proud and out but in a conservative dignified way. (Good gay). My boss Roger is a small and elegant man of high intelligence and perfect manners (Good gay). And Mikey...... :rolleyes:  A sleazy little worm of a man with no sense of what makes a bad comment at the wrong time and makes your skin crawl anytime you walk past him. (Bad Gay). And I guess I should include Justin who is gay but doesn't realise it yet and is in a confused state of denial. I do feel sorry for him a bit but he must be termed as the 'Lame Gay".

In reference to Manowar  In metal terms they are the Lame kind IMHO.
They are so incredibly predictable in their songs that I get bored very quickly.
Digresion our specialty!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 06:31:49 PM »

And you work where?............. ;)