Author Topic: Impulse purchase - Epi Rumblekat  (Read 1041 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Impulse purchase - Epi Rumblekat
« on: July 21, 2022, 07:22:20 AM »
I had a little gear money burning a hole in my pocket when I saw this pretty blue Epiphone on eBay. Between the color, and the fact that it had a nice case, I couldn't resist. $450 delivered to my office. Winning bid was $305, but shipping has gotten pricey! $120 plus $25 tax. Anyway, it's a cool little short scale bass. Smaller than the body shape might suggest. According to Epi, it's a chambered mahogany body with "laminated maple" top, maho neck and rosewood board. It's obviously Hofner-inspired. Kind of like a Club bass with Cavern pickup positioning. They actually do sound noticeably different from each other, even that close together. So far, both pickups on full is best, but I've barely played it. The previous owner saved me the trouble of putting flats on it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Impulse purchase - Epi Rumblekat
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 08:39:15 AM »
Congrats! Great little basses! I have a 500/1 and a 500/1 (Club) with Cavern spacing and I like them better than normal ones, for a variety of reasons.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 12:14:05 PM »
I’ve had a Rumblekat for several years now . Fun bass but I don’t put that much time on it . Too much other stuff , but it plays real nice , has a nice thump with LaBella flats . Slightly heavy with a strap , but I’m more accustomed to lightweight basses .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 12:34:34 PM »
Flats ought to be great on that.  Love the color, too.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 01:58:23 PM »
I actually prefer the blue ones, too.  But I haven't seen one of those in quite a long time.  Several weeks ago, I bought a wine red one from Sweetwater.  It was the last one.  They got some new ones in, but those sold out quickly.  Mine was only the second Epi I've ever bought. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 02:23:14 PM »
Mine is from the Unsung factory in Korea . No complaints about the build quality whatsoever . My V is from there too .

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 07:02:01 AM »
Cool, I'm surprised to see more owners here! I'm also surprised morrow's is heavy. This one is a lightweight. The seller told me the flats are LaBella. It was "hand crafted in China".

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 07:55:47 AM »
I’m used to playing lightweight basses so my concept of heavy is skewed . It’s heavier than my LP DC Jr , and the Danos I often use . It’s similar in weight to my SG bass .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 09:14:18 AM »
From all the reports I have ever read, any impulse to buy a Rumblekat is 100% justified.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2022, 06:12:01 AM »
An unsung little hero bass indeed.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2022, 12:59:48 PM »
Pretty bass, good price. Hope it works for you.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2022, 06:17:37 PM »
Damning with faint praise!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 12:35:20 AM »
Damning with faint praise!

Are you talking to me? I have nothing against it except the three point bridge. Never seen one in person.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 05:20:44 AM »
Personally, I find it a little on the over-adorned side - I'm more a fan of somber-looking basses, Rics are pretty much the one and only exception, I'm not a Gretsch guy at all. But it is well-made and transmits a credible feeling of value, much like a JC Signature does.

I have one, but can't really say how it sounds in its original state as mine is the one Dr Bassman/Bill customized with TV Jones pups which has led to some cancelling out with both pups full on (he told me of that issue before I bought it, it was in the early days of his customizing practice, he initially wanted to fix it himself, but never got around to it and in the end decided to let the bass go - I still have the original Epi pups as well, but I wouldn't want to change any of his previous work).

Thank God, the bass is not hampered by a tiltomatic-monstrosity-bridge - Westheimer, you're terrible!  8)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 05:43:02 AM by uwe »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 07:33:59 AM »
Pretty bass, good price. Hope it works for you.

I was very happily playing Lucy in the Sky and ...........Me and My Monkey the other night. It's working!  ;D