Author Topic: Cool Dennis Dunaway tribute SG  (Read 717 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Cool Dennis Dunaway tribute SG
« on: July 15, 2022, 08:39:18 AM »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Cool Dennis Dunaway tribute SG
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 09:17:45 AM »
  That's fng awesome!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 04:13:27 PM »
Very nicely done!

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 01:54:07 AM »
That is a really nice instrument. Faithful to the original. There is something really cool about that original Alice Cooper band that disappeared when it just became Alice Cooper the singer plus others. I feel like the original band was better when everybody was pitching into the look and sound of the band.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 04:34:45 AM »
  I love it, really love it. It is however a 500 bass with 2k worth of work. I paid $525 for my worn SG bass when new. ;) ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 08:08:14 AM »
Très cool.

The Alice Cooper Group was a band where Vincent Furnier was very much in charge of the visual presentation, but not of the music which was mainly the band's/Michael Bruce's do. That explains all the differences between the two eras. And when the band felt that he visuals begang to overpower the music while Alice didn't want to mess with the recipe, the schism led to the split. Since then Alice has been looking for people to collaborate with him in writing music that offer the same consistency the ACG had. He's only been sucessful in parts me thinks though I really like Alice.

Related:

Billion Dollar Babies

Billion Dollar Babies was the name of the band founded in 1976 by Michael Bruce, Mike Marconi, Dennis Dunaway, Bob Dolin and Neal Smith after they split from Alice Cooper in 1974. Bruce's solo album, In My Own Way, had been sold to Polydor in Germany. Polydor did a very limited test pressing and decided to shelve it without release. Originally, Billion Dollar Babies started out in the hope that Alice would return and Battle Axe would be the new record from the Alice Cooper group. That wasn't the outcome, and everyone decided to proceed without Alice. Time Magazine featured the group in a brief but hopeful write-up in 1977. There had been a fantastic and very theatrical stage show planned in which Bruce and Marconi would battle each other in the fashion of gladiators. In spite of the positive start, the band was embroiled in a legal suit over the use of the name. The stage show was far too costly and the tour was quite brief. Their only release was 1977's Battle Axe. Unfortunately, the Battle Axe record lost any momentum it had when it was recalled for mastering problems which caused the turntable needle to skip. Bruce, Dunaway and Smith had also invested a large sum of their own money in the project. Jack Douglas, who had worked on Muscle of Love with Jack Richardson, was hired to fix the mastering problem. With so many problems weighing them down, the group disbanded.

I never knew about the mastering issue - it means they had way too much bass in the mix (also the explanation why vinyl can never offer the deep bass of a CD - the needle skips where the laser doesn't).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 03:52:20 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 07:52:29 AM »

I'm still glad I got to see the original lineup for Billion Dollar Babies tour in '73 - A completely amazing production, stage show and music, my first ever concert and date with a girl, all in all a great memory! That show lead me to have expectations about what a "Concert" should actually be, not every band I saw after that measured up - notably, Led Zep, there were a complete snorefest, aside from being sloppy.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 04:09:40 PM »
Hearing School's Out (I believe it was in 1973, i.e. a year after its release, hey, I had been living in Africa!)

made me a life long convert for guitar riff based music. To this day, if I'm honest, I regard music that does not feature a signature guitar riff and just consists of some nice chords as inferior and not to be taking all too serious (sorry U2, Coldplay, Green Day etc.). My whole obsession with DP - riff oriented music to the max - stems from that magical monent when I first heard that gargantuan and nasty sounding riff. The song is lyrically, arrangement-wise and from the dramatic build-up and its various parts a masterpiece. Bob Ezrin's production grand and timeless, the bass lines of brilliant sleezy elegance. And though I generally disdain key changes in songs (especially if people don't know what they are doing ---> Nirvana), this one switches between the E minor key (the riff, verse and the solo parts) and the G minor key (not major as you would harmonically expect) in which pretty much everything else is played. It's done so well you don't even notice except that it simply sounds interesting and defies expectations.

Alice/the Alice Coooper Group never again wrote a song to match it (although he/they have done plenty of other good stuff and his much later other big hit Poison even repeated the minor key switch exercise), but no matter, that song always was and always will be iconic.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 03:46:53 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 04:57:20 PM »
Nice! Here's a better link:

https://reverb.com/item/57873139-gibson-sg-eb3-bass-dennis-dunaway-frog-tribute

"The original sidewinder neck pickup"?? I'm guessing that the seller doesn't know that the original is a TB-plus variant and nothing like a sidewinder.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 05:11:20 PM »
Don't be so tough on him, Dave. Not everyone is a Gibsonite.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 08:12:05 AM »
Alice Cooper - It was around Halloween, 1972. I was 8 years old, sitting in the family room by myself watching Night of the Living Dead, when in come two of my sisters (15 and 16 yo) with their freaky boyfriends. One walked right over to the TV and turned on channel 7. I'm like WTH? "Alice Cooper is on." I asked who was she?  ;D Then I saw this performance and was mesmerized. I was already somewhat familiar with Zep and the Beatles, but this had a level of theatrics and energy that I'd never seen before. Love the early BAND stuff. Once he started having giant toothbrushes and stuff on stage, I fell off.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 02:43:54 PM »
Don't be so tough on him, Dave. Not everyone is a Gibsonite.

Gibsonites.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2022, 10:01:29 AM »
Alan, this forum is apolitical, no pics from Republican Conventions please.

Only Alice is allowed to be one.

I do like the dual purpose skirts/curtain drapes though, very sustainable.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 10:18:01 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2022, 10:14:41 AM »
Alice Cooper - It was around Halloween, 1972. I was 8 years old, sitting in the family room by myself watching Night of the Living Dead, when in come two of my sisters (15 and 16 yo) with their freaky boyfriends. One walked right over to the TV and turned on channel 7. I'm like WTH? "Alice Cooper is on." I asked who was she?  ;D Then I saw this performance and was mesmerized. I was already somewhat familiar with Zep and the Beatles, but this had a level of theatrics and energy that I'd never seen before. Love the early BAND stuff. Once he started having giant toothbrushes and stuff on stage, I fell off.

I can relate, that was when Alice was still subculture, Iggy & The Stooges'ish, edgy, Dadaist & dangerous, not the Grand Guignol/ghost train conferencier he became. You can see what caught Frank Zappa's eye.