Author Topic: The new guy ...  (Read 449 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
The new guy ...
« on: May 23, 2022, 03:25:17 PM »
Very Gary Moorish, but not distractingly so. More Brit grit than Yank athletic elegance like Steve Morse.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: The new guy ...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 11:34:34 PM »
And a better fit than Joe Satriani was.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 04:52:48 AM »
"Joe from Long Island that didn't belong" (with British rock royalty) as he self-references himself in his Purple days had his moments, like those lightning-fast arpeggios at 6:39 here ...

He stepped in within days (learning the repertoire on the plane to Japan for the first gigs) and helped Purple get over the "Ritchie left again"-trauma, the band loved (and loves) him for it and he has only said nice things about his time with Purple as well. But coming immediately after Blackmore and his inherent Britishness in playing, he wasn't the greatest fit, true. He made it easier for Steve Morse to follow him though. Morse learned the Purple set from soundboard recordings featuring Satriani, not Blackmore (who had a habit of cutting out his own parts live and playing less and less, leaving the song structure to be carried by Jon Lord's Hammond).

Satriani is probably the only guitarist that had to both emulate Richards/Taylor (when touring with Jagger) and Blackmore in professional situations.

A down-to-earth guy:

You’ve had opportunities to join bands. You could have joined Deep Purple. But based on the fact that your solo career is your primary focus and you switch out players from one album to the next, would it be fair to say you enjoy the freedom of playing with a variety of other musicians as opposed to being in a set band?

I took my cue from those players that were laying the groundwork for the kind of stuff I do, like Jeff back. I saw the freedom that he had to play with interesting players that would inspire him, to do different things. I thought that’s really great. I love watching him live and I love his albums and he keeps you guessing and he’s always progressing as a guitarist. He just keeps going forward. I love that attitude of just moving forward all the time.

He’s not really hampered like a legacy band where they’re going to have to play their hits. Like when Aerosmith goes out, they’re just going to have to play those songs that are their hits. They got to play “Janie’s Got a Gun,” they got to “Dream On.” They can’t do a concert without it. But Jeff Beck really doesn’t have to do anything he doesn’t want to do (laughs). He can say, “No, this is where I’m at right now, check this out. No one else can do it. I can do it.” (Laughs) I love that attitude. It’s a dangerous move. You miss all that input from a band and you miss the chance that you can go mainstream. It’s very difficult for Jeff Beck to go mainstream like Aerosmith or any other pop band where you’re talking billions of streams and TV appearances and all the awards, that kind of stuff. However, everybody knows and respects Jeff Beck as a player, as a musician, as a composer, and they wouldn’t dream of him changing his attitude. We like him being the iconoclast that he is.

I had that choice to make when Roger Glover asked me to join Deep Purple. I just thought, I’m Joe from Long Island. I don’t belong in this British royalty metal band. I knew I just didn’t belong. I was a big fan of Ritchie Blackmore and I thought I’ll never be able to rectify it. I’ll always feel guilty that I have to copy Ritchie and I didn’t want to do that. I’ve had friends who’ve had successful turns replacing famous people in bands. But I remember what they would always say at the end of it. I remember Steve Vai telling me once, “Joe, if you can avoid it, don’t ever replace anybody famous in a band because the fans — they never let you forget it. You’re always compared to the first guy, the original guy.” So I thought I’m going to take the chance. I’ve got a good relationship with my fans, and we’ll stick together and try to just make better and better albums.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 05:03:09 AM by uwe »

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 08:03:27 AM »
I like the new guy.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 08:40:52 AM »
He's gung-ho and a bit boisterous, they haven't had that in a while. And I like his punky, irreverent look, not bothering to fit the DP guitar hero look which has always (Blackmore-Bolin-Satriani-Morse) gone together with long hair.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 05:02:59 PM by uwe »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 01:02:44 PM »

You mean he does not look like an anachronism.
I don't see what so punky or irreverent about him. Just a regular guy who plays the blues.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 05:03:32 PM »
You said it better than I!

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 03:18:53 PM »
He really is good.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 07:42:14 AM »
You think Steve needs to worry?  ;D

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 03:35:03 PM »
Well, no, it is just me liking his playing style (I'm more into the Gary Moore style) and I'm not part of th DP Mob anyway so Steve needs not to worry.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 04:03:58 PM »
Actually the Deep Purple fan family is much endeared by this guy, I guess they were missing some Brit grit content!