Author Topic: Mod Collection SG Bass w/TB pickups in mid+bridge  (Read 5412 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Mod Collection SG Bass w/TB pickups in mid+bridge
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2022, 06:00:19 AM »
Agree on the neck joint area but I like the knobs side of the vintage guards better with the right angle tip.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2022, 08:08:09 AM »
I think the new shape is an improvement by the way. The old one looked kinda clumsy near the neck joint

Agreed.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2022, 03:44:42 PM »
Gibson has never been very consistent with the shape of the bevels on the horns.

Gibson definitely got a bit muddled up when they carved the SG Special that ended up in Tony Iommi's possession. I'm wondering how they adapted their jigs and patterns for left handed instruments, given that they totally overcooked the bevel and had to shave away the pickguard to a blunt tip to accommodate the wide bevel and shorter horn.

'60s SG bevels and transitions are a thing of glory and never really replicated accurately on modern reissues.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2022, 11:28:44 PM »
Necks, neck joints and bodies/bevels before '66 is my EB/SG favourite. Glad I stocked up on them before prices went up too much. I have played a couple of new ones, but they are so different in feel/sound that it's hard to compare them. Maybe weight is the first thing that grabs you, but there are so many body details that differ too. Maybe it's the nut width that is most important. When I bought GOT's SB300 a few years back, I really liked that it was different - but it's hard to imagine it was built by the same company that built the mud mid 60's EB basses. It's from another planet!