Author Topic: Cataldo 12 string three pickup Nonreverse Thunderbird.  (Read 1805 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Cataldo 12 string three pickup Nonreverse Thunderbird.
« on: March 12, 2022, 02:15:29 PM »
  Just arrived! This thing is a monster and I am so glad I went for it! Please move if I'm in the wrong place. 
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Re: Cataldo 12 string three pickup Nonreverse Thunderbird.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 02:20:32 PM »
Wow! What a sound! Have fun!

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 05:33:16 PM »
That has to warm Carlo's heart

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 08:28:38 PM »
I think it might have found a forever home . Congratulations , Scott ! Gotta say that seeing you with this made my day !

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 10:42:29 PM »
That is exquisite. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 10:07:51 AM »
Uhum, Scott, can we hear the same thing over a Fender Twin Reverb please?  :mrgreen:

As is, the instrument (not the most honorable and proficient player!) sounds like Lemmy and Johnny Ramone playing in unison. An acquired taste.

Sorry, I know that distortion with multi-stringed basses has become de rigueur (and also that Scott's heart lies with a heavily overdriven bass sound), but I'm the odd man out and prefer a sound like this***:

A little over-driven and very percussive, but not that distortion onslaught that bulldozes everything. (Whenever I saw Cheap Trick live, I could never discern a single melodic line Tom Petersson was playing, it bugged me big time.) There is a reason why I did not choose to become a rock guitarist.

***I'm perfectly cognizant of the fact that Lake's sound might not work in a band with guitars, much less distorted guitars, but if keyboard trios are the natural and most welcoming habitat of multi-stringed basses, then so be it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 11:53:36 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 10:53:14 AM »
If someone can explain to me the appeal of Lemmy and the Ramones, I honestly still just don't get it.  I never had anything against them, but just never related to whatever was going on.

As for that bass, it seems like a cool bass, although I don't think it could be used on most songs.  Maybe folk rock, although that's a genre I never much got, either. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 11:05:32 AM »
"Maybe folk rock ..."  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah, I can just see that, Peter, Paul & Mary & Scott of Thunder !!!

Did I mention that I like both the Ramones and Peter, Paul & Mary?

But I understand what you're aiming at, I guess Jon Camp of Renaissance could have done something with an 8-string, I believe he occasionally even played one. But there are similarities to how Lake used it in ELP: a relatively clean and clear sound + no electric guitar in Renaissance!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 11:17:09 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2022, 02:05:36 PM »
Folk music is very diverse.  But when someone is talking about it, it all depends on which folk artist you're talking about.  Although I never listened to Renaissance, just the fact that Keith Relf was in the original line-up is a plus for me.  I had been a big Yardbirds fan in my teens.  But Renaissance is progressive rock to me, not really folk. 

When I think of folk, I tend to associate it with what I heard when I was very young.  I guess this would be traditional folk.  People, for instance, like Burl Ives.  In high school, most of us were listening to the Beatles and the Allman Brothers.  But one of my best friends was rocking out to Burl Ives.  It was amusing, at least to me.  Of course, I respected everything he did, even if he liked that kind of music.  He was smart and kind and remains so to this day.  But our taste in music was definitely not the same. 

Also, of course, there is Bob Dylan who really is a folk artist.  I may not like folk too much, but I think he is great.  I would call what he does folk rock.  I think having an 8-string or 12 string bass might have worked on some of his songs. 

Personally, to me one of the most positive things about folk rock was the influence that it had on some of the Beatles' music.  I think "Rubber Soul" might have turned out differently without that. 

A favorite song of Ricky's, my high school friend--

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 02:13:57 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 02:37:53 PM »
The first folk rock I heard was Peter, Paul & Mary.  My family bought a portable stereo record player (the kind with the fold-down front and swing-out side speakers, which I still have) and it came with some albums.  One of them was PP&M.

No wonder they were so big in the 60's. They had a great sound.  I remember going to a concert of their in college, and I had "I Dig Rock & Roll Music" stuck in my head for three days afterwards.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2022, 03:57:46 PM »
I always thought Wishbone Ash (especially their Mk I line-up with both - unrelated - Turners) had a strong English folk tinge, I liked that, ARGUS is basically an electrified folk album:

Martin is a little hoarse here, must have been a grueling tour, his voice normally holds up well.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 04:03:31 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 10:56:25 PM »
Folk music is very diverse.  But when someone is talking about it, it all depends on which folk artist you're talking about.  Although I never listened to Renaissance, just the fact that Keith Relf was in the original line-up is a plus for me.  I had been a big Yardbirds fan in my teens.  But Renaissance is progressive rock to me, not really folk. 

When I think of folk, I tend to associate it with what I heard when I was very young.  I guess this would be traditional folk.  People, for instance, like Burl Ives.  In high school, most of us were listening to the Beatles and the Allman Brothers.  But one of my best friends was rocking out to Burl Ives.  It was amusing, at least to me.  Of course, I respected everything he did, even if he liked that kind of music.  He was smart and kind and remains so to this day.  But our taste in music was definitely not the same. 

Also, of course, there is Bob Dylan who really is a folk artist.  I may not like folk too much, but I think he is great.  I would call what he does folk rock.  I think having an 8-string or 12 string bass might have worked on some of his songs. 

Personally, to me one of the most positive things about folk rock was the influence that it had on some of the Beatles' music.  I think "Rubber Soul" might have turned out differently without that. 

A favorite song of Ricky's, my high school friend--

Wolverton Mountain was a huge country (and crossover) hit for Claude King in 1962.

Clifton Clowers was a real person, a maternal uncle of Merle Kilgore, who wrote the song.

This is a great story.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 01:40:35 AM »
Wolverton Mountain was a huge country (and crossover) hit for Claude King in 1962.

Clifton Clowers was a real person, a maternal uncle of Merle Kilgore, who wrote the song.

This is a great story.

That really is a good story.  The song itself is good, too.  That was one of the Burle Ives songs that I didn't mind listening to.  But my friend wanted to listen to everything Burl Ives did, just like I wanted to hear everything the Beatles did. 

--Blaise Pascal

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 03:19:45 PM »
I was singing along as you played. Well done!

Did you have that built or was it a resale?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2022, 06:44:00 AM »
  When you wack the hornets nest  ;D Of course my first move is to run this bass through a overdriven tube head, btw the Hiwatt is the winner hands down.  I'm a big fan of The Ramones (perfect fit for my ADHD riddled 15 year old self) Peter, Paul and Mary  a fan of Motorhead as well. Jim Croce one of my favorite "folkies" can't forget The Seekers either or The Irish Rovers. I have a penchant for sea shanties. :) My dabbling with the mandolin has helped quite a bit on the transition to the 12ver. This bass has limited applications but, I have always wanted a 12ver and this was obviously the perfect bass for me.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 07:27:46 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird