Author Topic: I'm sure everyone will be pleased  (Read 395 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: I'm sure everyone will be pleased
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 04:09:27 PM »
I am. That's a sensible, nicely eclectic mix. I even knew almost all of them.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 04:50:46 PM »
Interesting they got the first (last position) song all wrong crediting Ray Manzarek playing keyboard bass, since it is (Elvis Presley regular at the time) Jerry Scheff playing bass guitar. Otherwise it is a fair list of songs.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 07:58:00 AM »
I've never heard about half of them.

Badge should be on the list.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 06:13:19 AM »
And Detroit Rock City. No joke. The verse features one of the most unusual, idiosyncratic and identifiable bass lines/riffs ever played to a hard rock shuffle. It's not really intuitive, leaves lots of space in the shuffle beat, yet crams in a lot of notes where it can, quite complex, not easy to play, yet it characterizes the song (together with the neo-classical harmony leads in the middle). Strictly speaking it's not even a shuffle all the time because Gene plays something that is neither quite triplets nor quite sixteenths.

The bass line stems from Bob Ezrin who got inspiration from an old Stax recording. But I've never heard anyone play it quite like Gene does.

Of course, Gene is forever, albeit erroneously filed away as "the bigmouth in make-up who can't play", so you can't really list him even though that one time he created something very special. Reportedly, he rehearsed it all night at the Destroyer sessions to get it right, the man has a work ethic.  8)

When I first heard the song in 1976, that riff really floored me (in the context of a shuffle, I had never heard anything remotely like it before) even though back then I probably even couldn't identify whether it was guitar or bass (or really cared, it just sounded cool). I only started playing bass about a year later. Destroyer was the first album where Kiss to me didn't sound like a garage band (albeit one I liked) anymore (I knew Alive and Dressed To Kill back then), Bob Ezrin gave them that full-fledged Alice Cooper production grandeur.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 10:01:12 AM by uwe »

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 05:02:42 PM »
I wouldn't think Come Together is Paul McCartney's best bass line, not when there is Lovely Rita, She's so Heavy, and even Pretty Little Love Songs.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 05:41:22 PM »
Yeah, Macca has done great stuff. Come Together has immediate recognition and is so popular even guitarists rip off the riff.

At least they admitted it; they weren't Led Zep.

Some guitarists even misappropriate the bass line as a guitar riff when they play the actual song!

That drummer at 00:37, 01:48 & 02:42 ... isn't Ringo, I know, but was he with the Beatles too? Is he the guy that died before they recorded Abbey Road?

There you have it: So it wasn't Macca who came up with that riff!

PS: And who the hell is a very young Kate Moss smiling at/melting about at 01:08?  ??? She never looked like that at me.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 06:09:21 PM by uwe »