Author Topic: 65-66 Hofner black neck project  (Read 1451 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
65-66 Hofner black neck project
« on: November 29, 2021, 08:35:40 PM »
 Man this thing reminds me of Bill (drbassman) he'd get a kick out of it.  Before he passed he gave me some Hofner parts and this is just the thing to use them up on. This thing has been hanging around the House of Guitars for years possibly decades a three legged  misfit toy if there ever was one.  I got it cheap comes with the pickups and a contol plate. I am going to put it back as close to original as I can.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: 65-66 Hofner black neck project
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 10:46:40 PM »
I'm sure you'll do Bill proud.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 07:27:56 AM »
I’ll find this interesting , I have a black neck blade pickup Hofner that needs a truss rod and neck reset .
Hoping to get ‘er back to playing condition too .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 10:24:56 AM »
Man, that's more than a TLC project. You'll need to start with CPR and a full refin to get a pulse.  I with you good fortune, but I'm sure that you can make that a nice bass again.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 02:39:35 PM »
Having dutifully sat through eight hours of 'Get Back' I'm starting to have thoughts about violin basses again. This looks like an interesting project!

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 04:05:46 PM »
Man, that's more than a TLC project. You'll need to start with CPR and a full refin to get a pulse.  I with you good fortune, but I'm sure that you can make that a nice bass again.
I didn't read nice in the wish list "just back to as close to original".

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 01:11:37 PM »
It's moving right along. I go the pickup wired up,  fabricatrd a control plate and accurate b/w truss rod cover. The tuners arrived today and install them as well.  The only parts from Bill I have been able to use are the tea cup knobs. Strings and bridge arrive next week so I should be able to play it! Still on the lookout for 60's pickup rings, another pickup etc.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 02:41:16 PM »
Way to go Scott. There's some nice grain on that (Braz Cherry?) fretboard. Bet it'll look dead sexy with a little spit n polish.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 02:55:00 PM »
That’s coming together quickly . The old Preh pots are around if you want to dig , I’m not sure they’d make much of a difference . But you never know . I found that Ton Paulussen of Marnic Instruments in Holland was very helpful with vintage Hofner things . The North American distributors seemed pretty useless about any vintage requests .
It’s looking good !

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 03:03:11 PM »
 Thanks guys! I'm pretty excited about this project.  I have a wish list in to Ton. Waiting for a reply on parts availability.  :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 03:13:04 PM by godofthunder »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 09:52:02 AM »
  She's back in one piece,  it's probably been decades since it's been played. I always enjoy taking a cast off and making it useful again.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 11:28:15 AM »
That was fast . My luthier has just moved , and will have to set up a new shop . Mine requires a new truss rod so the neck binding will have to be steamed and removed before the fretboard is steamed .
It will take some time .
The guy doing the work does a lot of upright work so he has lots of experience with that .