Author Topic: Emmett Chapman (Chapman Stick) ... rip...  (Read 484 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Emmett Chapman (Chapman Stick) ... rip...
« on: November 05, 2021, 10:14:17 AM »
Not sure where to place this... I know ERB's are not everyone's cup of tea and not sure anyone here has one, played one or ever had a desire to own one, but the Chapman Stick was certainly a departure for players... only ever say Tony Levin play one (with Gabriel) and found them fascinating, but not for me...
Came up on Fripp's pages...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rob

• View Profile
Re: Emmett Chapman (Chapman Stick) ... rip...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 06:12:59 PM »
RIP

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Emmett Chapman (Chapman Stick) ... rip...
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 07:45:19 AM »
Yes, sad. In the 80s, the guitarist in my band also doubled on Stick. Met Emmett at the NAMM show when he was demoing his "Grid" MIDI system. I was VERY close to buying one, but at the time, I was getting heavy into synths and exploring fretless bass, so I felt I wouldn't have time to do it justice. Fast forward to 2 years ago, I started playing bass in a Peter Gabriel tribute band and have been considering a Stick again. Lots of looking at the website, figuring out what tuning might work for me, etc. They're hard to find and always seem to be around 2 grand. There was JUST an 8 string with MIDI on eBay for $2700 that was tempting me. A Stick triggering my synths could be awesome... But since I don't have that kind of money sitting around, I'll continue to fake it on 6 string bass.

Emmett will live on through all the musicians he influenced. RIP