Author Topic: Have we talked about Pawn Stars?  (Read 1341 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Have we talked about Pawn Stars?
« on: November 05, 2021, 09:27:06 AM »
I recently saw an episode where a guy brought in a '79 Bicentennial T-bird, natural finish. It was all there and original looking. Finish was pretty bad. Guy wanted 7 grand for it. They call in their "expert", and he calls it a $9000 bass. Really? Ridiculous. Even if there were only 6 made in that finish, that year.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Have we talked about Pawn Stars?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 09:43:04 AM »

The whole thing was bad, seeing that bass on the counter top without a brace underneath to support the neck was bad enough. The body had an unplugged extra hole in it, the finish was wormy, no original knobs or covers, some of the first words out of the "experts" mouth are "this is the first one of these I've ever seen", WTAF.  I know good '76-'79 Birds are going up in value but that bass was worth maybe 3500. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 11:13:26 AM »
As most often is the case, tv shows do not reflect reality. So-called experts are brought to the forefront to enhance drama. Not to tell the truth. Because the truth is too boring (in the eyes of the people who make the tv pulp).

Which is one of the reasons I don’t watch the tv anymore. (Sports and music excepted)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 11:39:56 AM »
Sometimes the truth is boring, but that show is always boring.  I've had the misfortune of being around friends and family eager to watch it.  What a waste of time.  They almost always try to ramp up the drama when a so-called expert is brought in.  Why people want to watch this show and others like it, I simply don't know.  I haven't seen any basses on there, but I have seen some guitars brought in. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 07:22:56 AM »
Yeah, we all know "reality" TV is completely scripted. This one is particularly painful because the main guy (Rick?) is a TERRIBLE actor. It's OK mindless entertainment sometimes, but I never actually watch on purpose.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 09:18:53 AM »
Pawn Stars falls in the category of TV I'll leave on in the background when I am doing something like grading papers online.  I can check it every 5 minutes and not miss anything.

I pay more attention to Counting Cars and some of the other auto restoration shows.  What they do is phenomenal.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 01:26:02 PM »
I have to sit through the odd reno show , other than that I don’t see much .
Herself is thinking we’re due to have a go at the kitchen .

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 02:44:08 PM »
All "reality TV" is about as real as pro wrestling.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 03:42:32 PM »
Including the few renovation shows I sit through …

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 07:50:28 AM »
At least we can count on them finding a real treasure on Oak Island……….
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2021, 08:07:22 AM »
At least we can count on them finding a real treasure on Oak Island……….

I've never watched that one.  Just glanced at it for two seconds while flipping channels.  But my guess is nothing is as bad as Pawn Stars. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal