Author Topic: Be careful what you ask for  (Read 1778 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Be careful what you ask for
« on: October 29, 2021, 11:27:11 PM »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
Re: Be careful what you ask for
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 05:38:14 AM »
 :rimshot:

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 09:03:04 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 11:19:08 AM »
We are really missing out with our US commercials!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 01:28:01 PM »
Maybe we're missing out on witty commercials, but we've got big pharma commercials at all hours.  They never end.  One of the biggest differences between American and European TV. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 07:03:08 PM »
Maybe we're missing out on witty commercials, but we've got big pharma commercials at all hours.  They never end.  One of the biggest differences between American and European TV.

People having fun hiking and kayaking while the voice over announcer describes how a brain eating fungus is one of the side effects.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 02:02:13 AM »
At least half the time the side effects of the so-called medicine really are scarier than the disease itself. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 07:21:34 AM »
At least half the time the side effects of the so-called medicine really are scarier than the disease itself.

Amen.

Anyone visiting from outside the US must think that no US male can get it up any more.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 08:40:00 AM »
That must be due to the ketchup treatment you all suffer at high school - kinda a Pavlov's effect.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 09:15:10 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 12:43:03 PM »
I think there may be a few more amusing commercials out there, but it would be hard to find one funnier than the ketchup commercial. 

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 09:13:32 PM »
Amen.

Anyone visiting from outside the US must think that no US male can get it up any more.

I always got the impression that those commercials were never very popular.  I rarely see them now. 

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 01:18:55 PM »
I always got the impression that those commercials were never very popular.  I rarely see them now.

Interesting. If you watch sports or evening commercial TV in the Denver market, you'll see at least one every half-hour.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 03:44:23 PM »
Interesting. If you watch sports or evening commercial TV in the Denver market, you'll see at least one every half-hour.

That is interesting then.  Because years ago I can remember seeing them quite often.  But in the last ten years or so they seem to have almost disappeared, especially during the past five years.  They must not have received the response from the Deep South that the drug companies had been hoping for.  I had incorrectly assumed the commercials were rarely aired anywhere.  I don't miss seeing them.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 04:38:18 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 04:51:02 PM »
I suspect demographics are a factor. Some areas like Denver have a high proportion of Boomers, which would be the target audience.

(As they say, "don't ask how I know this...")

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 07:08:21 PM »
Here many of the commercials are geared toward helping people who have been in a wreck find a good local attorney who can keep them from being ripped off by insurance companies. 

--Blaise Pascal