Gear Discussion Forums > Rickenbacker Basses

Nice tail lift on this one

(1/4) > >>

ilan:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2601886463289918

Paul Boyer:
You have to wonder how many Rick tailpieces have failed so spectacularly. Or are we seeing the same photos of a few like this one over and over and over again? It is well known that the blackened tailpieces were terribly weak, and it lead to the factory adding two more screws to the bottom end of the tail piece for a time. And this is also old news. This tale of troublesome tails comes from the late 1980s.

Dave W:
That's extreme.

Has JH ever acknowledged the problem? He used to get irritated whenever someone at RRF would bring it up. Same with the exploding R tailpieces.

ilan:

--- Quote from: Dave W on August 22, 2021, 10:53:38 PM ---That's extreme.

Has JH ever acknowledged the problem? He used to get irritated whenever someone at RRF would bring it up. Same with the exploding R tailpieces.

--- End quote ---

He would also get upset whenever clownglo FG's were mentioned and blamed digital photography, he refused to acknowledge that 2004 Midnight Blue bleeds into the binding past the 1-year warranty, and would get furious whenever anyone hinted that the Cii/5 was less than perfect and that the pickups' magnetic window was too narrow for the B and G strings. On the other hand, when I had a problem with my '73 4001 truss rods he did everything to help me, to a point of locating someone in Israel who can reproduce truss rod nuts with a metric tap.

I am also convinced that the move in 1974 to 1" spacing was due to recurring neck lift problems and not the explanation they stuck with.

morrow:
He’s been retired for a couple of years now . He was very helpful to me when I asked about the cap bypass on a 4001 , at the time I didn’t realize he owned the company .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version